Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #1

New KR Owner-having trouble!

Hi All,
New to the forum, so sorry if what I am asking has been discussed before!

I have recently bought a K-R. Years ago I used the old MX and ME Super, and took quite reasonable photos, so I am familiar with the basic science of shutter speeds, aperture, iso, depth of field etc..

With the K-r, I find I am struggling to get good photos of anything, except close ups.
Landscapes and things such as trains are appalling.

My biggest criticism is images appear flat, unsharp, noisy, and sometimes focus badly.

I have tried all auto, and various manual settings, still with not much joy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
many thanks

Phil

03-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Phil

Would it be possible to post a photo or two, with the exif data attatched. The information in the exif data might give us an idea what the problem is
03-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

Yes the photo sample will help. But just from your description "My biggest criticism is images appear flat, unsharp, noisy, and sometimes focus badly.", looks like the DOF is thin and the lens is wide open, and K-r might have focusing problem too.
03-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for quick replies!
I attach a sample here. I have had to reduce it as it would not upload, file size about 5Mb.
I am saving images on jpeg 3 star quality.

Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Phil
03-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF!

Your experience definitely sounds disappointing!

As noted above, a few example photos would be helpful. It also might help if we knew what lens you are shooting with. In the mean time, here are a few things you can try:
  • Reset the camera to the factory settings as a baseline (see user manual)
  • Confirm that camera is set to auto-focus and that SR is on
  • Put camera in "green" mode
  • Take a few representative photos in good light of subjects (centered in the frame) at several distances (be sure that AF has actually been attained before pressing shutter)
If these are not satisfactory, you may have a defective unit (either lens or body).

Steve
03-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you, I am using a Pentax 55-200mm lens.
i will give some of the suggestions a try!
03-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Phil, I am no expert, and I hope you do not mind me doing a fast edit in picassa 3 on the photo.

I do not think there is much wrong with the photo, except your custom settings for JPEG. I would add a little contrast and saturation. I've got a K-x and usually shoot in RAW, but your manual should be able to give you the info. The kit lens are not always the sharpest of lenses, but i don't think that is your problem. It might also help to use a tripod at 1/125, and 200mm

03-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I am using a Pentax 55-200mm lens.

It's either the 50-200 or 55-300. The 55-300 is the better of the two, but the 50-200 should be adequate.

The white sky in the shot may be affecting your perception of the quality of the shot.
03-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
Oops! Yes its the 50-200mm!!
03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The white sky in the shot may be affecting your perception of the quality of the shot.
That was my first thought. Bright white areas are different on digital. With film, detail could be recovered from areas like that, depending on how the photos were processed. With digital, detail could be lost or just require more work in processing. That would explain why closeups look better; no sky.

I found that opening my bad images in Photoshop Elements was a great learning tool. I could see where things went wrong. I did not worry much about fixing bad photos on the computer, just learning how to get a better in-camera starting point next time. The software brand is not important either.

Also on the computer, you should be able to see if the camera moved and other technique problems, like focus. You can take a lot of boring test photos to isolate those problems.

Pentax tends to have the base JPG settings produce a neutral image, and leave it up to the user to adjust. If you like the saturation turned up all the way, just do it. No one will arrest you. If you're using RAW, the same thing applies; RAW images usually need some work. It's not cheating.
03-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Here's a good part of your problem, the EXIF reveals this

Exposure Bias 1.00

That's a receipe for serious overexposure.
04-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

In terms of getting a sharp image... at 200mm and 1/125... I'd aggree with Altopiet and suggest the use of a tripod...

I shoot ice hockey sometime with the 50-200 (mine is the WR version) and past 100mm I need to be 'braced' even at much faster shutterspeeds to get a decently sharp shot...

I do think the 50-200mm get a bit of a rough time of it... It's a very capable peice of glass and I get good results from it...
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for your great responses. Very much appreciated and a great welcome to the forum.

I will be trying the advice, can I ask please how to set the camera to green mode, and what is SR? !
04-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter

SR is shake reduction. See your Manual.

Green mode is set by turning the mode dial on top of camera to the little green square which says "Auto Picture". This is really a fully automatic mode.

Welcome to PF and best of luck. Don't worry it will all come together fine for you.