Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K5 Line on Right Side of Photos

Just got my new K5 today. Firmware is 1.01 and Photo showed that the 1st pictures was # 1.

On all of the photo's there is a line, top to bottom on the right side of the photos. It shows up when I see them on my computer. In this photo it shows up as pink in the middle. However, on most of them, it looks the the photo is not being processed on the edge. It's on both landscape and portrait.

I tried another lenses, formatted the SD card and took a look in the setting to see if I missed something.

Do you think if I update the firmware it might help? Or is this baby going back.

The S/N is 3938351

03-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try updating it, and also check for the presence of this on the LCD.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try a different software on your computer to load your photo
03-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jpeg is Fine - PEF is all black, However..

It doesn't show up on the LCD at all. I set it to Jpeg 10 megs and they turn out fine. PEF will open them for a second in Picasa for a few seconds and then go all black. However, the thumbs are still showing the pics.

It also seems like it's taking some time to process each photo when I take it. The hour glass is there for @ 5 secs or longer.

IrfanView, & Faststone MaxView opens them all with no problem, no line at all.. That's good news.

So, Serif PhotoPlus X4 & Picasa are having the problem. Hmm, well I'll update firmware, and check for some updates.

Plus, I guess I could use the Pentax software that came with it. How does that fair?

Love this thing so far..

03-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Great- looks like it's your computer's fault then! Try using the Pentax software or photoshop instead of picassa.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Great- looks like it's your computer's fault then! Try using the Pentax software or photoshop instead of picassa.
Ya, I'll give it a go in the morning. Don't have Photoshop, so it will have to be Pentax software. I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit, so it acts weird at times. I'll keep this thread posted on the fix which I'm sure myself, or some fine person here will discover as well.

Thanks to all..
03-31-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use UFRAW for conversion. Because (older) UFRAW versions don't support the K5 PEFs, I decided to shoot in DNG and it shows a similar line as yours (over the full height however). Also noticable in your image is a black line at the left; exactly the same as mine.

If I recall correctly, latest version of UFRAW (0.18) solves the issue.

quite sure that shooting in jpeg or raw+ and viewing the jpeg in Picasa will not show the behaviour; that was the case for me. I've also noticed that size indications (width and height) are deifferent between RAW and JPG.

Note: most viewers display the embedded thumbnail, not the actual image; as the JPG of the K5 is not affected, it will show fine in e.g. IrfanView.

And 'oh ja', congrats on a marvelous tool.

PS
Somebody once commented that it's the noise reduction that moved all noise to the right

Last edited by sterretje; 03-31-2011 at 01:23 AM.
03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Don't have Photoshop, so it will have to be Pentax software. I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit, so it acts weird at times.
1) you can download a trial version of Elements, Lightroom or Photoshop to see if that has the problem

2) My PC is running exactly the same OS and never acts weird... It has 4GB of RAM and the W7 was a clean install.
03-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit, so it acts weird at times.
Thanks to all..
Hi
Why do you need to run Win7 in 64 bit, be aware that a lot of programs still don't run a 100% in the 64 bit environment. A lot of people think 64 is better when there is really no need for it with the applications they are running. (Because a bigger number must be better, right?) This could be your problem if I have my facts correct.

Greetings
03-31-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Why do you need to run Win7 in 64 bit, be aware that a lot of programs still don't run a 100% in the 64 bit environment. A lot of people think 64 is better when there is really no need for it with the applications they are running. (Because a bigger number must be better, right?) This could be your problem if I have my facts correct.

Greetings
I haven't had any problems with 32-bit programs in a 64-bit OS. Most of my programs are 32-bit ones, but my photo-editing software is a 64-bit application so if I ever upgrade RAM beyond 4GB it will be able to take advantage of it.

The big problem for most people is drivers, especially if they are using old printers / scanners / etc. My Nikon scanner doesn't have a compatible driver, neither does my really old Epson flatbed scanner, but since I have the Pro version I can run XP in a virtual machine and use that to access those devices - there is also a fudge to get the Nikon scanner running on the x64 environment.

If the OP's PC is 'weird' that suggests to me it has an 'issue' or two, not that W7x64 is a bad choice for him/her.
03-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I haven't had any problems with 32-bit programs in a 64-bit OS. Most of my programs are 32-bit ones, but my photo-editing software is a 64-bit application so if I ever upgrade RAM beyond 4GB it will be able to take advantage of it.

The big problem for most people is drivers, especially if they are using old printers / scanners / etc. My Nikon scanner doesn't have a compatible driver, neither does my really old Epson flatbed scanner, but since I have the Pro version I can run XP in a virtual machine and use that to access those devices - there is also a fudge to get the Nikon scanner running on the x64 environment.

If the OP's PC is 'weird' that suggests to me it has an 'issue' or two, not that W7x64 is a bad choice for him/her.
I'll second this. The only incompatibility issue I ran into was an HP photo printer that HP no longer supports with a driver that will allow it to run on Win 7 64. Printer needed to be replaced anyway. Otherwise, no problems. All my photo software is 64-bit and I have 8gb of ram that I want to be able to access. I still have a number of 32-bit programs though, all of which run fine.
03-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I use UFRAW for conversion. Because (older) UFRAW versions don't support the K5 PEFs, I decided to shoot in DNG and it shows a similar line as yours (over the full height however). Also noticable in your image is a black line at the left; exactly the same as mine.

If I recall correctly, latest version of UFRAW (0.18) solves the issue.

quite sure that shooting in jpeg or raw+ and viewing the jpeg in Picasa will not show the behaviour; that was the case for me. I've also noticed that size indications (width and height) are deifferent between RAW and JPG.

Note: most viewers display the embedded thumbnail, not the actual image; as the JPG of the K5 is not affected, it will show fine in e.g. IrfanView.

And 'oh ja', congrats on a marvelous tool.

PS
Somebody once commented that it's the noise reduction that moved all noise to the right

I'll check out UFRA.

You're right about the black line on the left as well. It seems to only be a problem with a few editing programs. I guess I'll be doing some cropping until I can find the right software that will work with it. Here's a better view of both lines against a white wall.

I can also, if I need to, can run most of my programs in XP mode. I'll give that a go when I get the time..

But 1st, I want to check my K5 out to see if there might be any major problems. I have 30 days to return it at this point.

---------- Post added 03-31-11 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Why do you need to run Win7 in 64 bit,. (Because a bigger number must be better, right?) This could be your problem if I have my facts correct.
Greetings
Nope! I don't know why you would think a number would have anything to do with an OS. However, if that's your theory, I would not have went from my K20 to a K5.

On my computer, I run multiple programs on several monitors. Win 7 Pro, 64 Bit can handle more memory in order to keep things running great without shutdowns, reboots and so on.

Okay, now that we got that taken care of, I'm off to play with my new K50 (I renamed it), with my Vivitar 400mm f/6.3 lens. Oh, & with Auto Vivitar 3x custom teleconverter it's more like 1,600mm.

---------- Post added 03-31-11 at 07:07 PM ----------

It also seems like it's taking some time to process each photo when I take it. The hour glass is there for @ 5 secs or longer.

So, as I said, it seemed to be taking a long time before I saw the picture. Just the hour glass for about 5 seconds.

Then all of a sudden today, it's like fast. I take the picture and there it is.

I didn't change anything. - Weird.

Last edited by glee46; 03-31-2011 at 12:02 PM.
03-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Be aware that UFRAW is basically a converter (it can't handle JPEGs) with limited editing capabilities compared to real PP software. I however do like it a lot; only thing I nowadays really seem to miss is sharpening. You can however 'export' to 'the Gimp' without loss of quality and do the other processing in there.

And yes, some programs are able to do interprete the RAW data correctly. DarkTable under Linux is one that does not show the behaviour; it however does not report the image dimensions correctly.

I don't know about Picasa; if Picasa is open source software, it will probably use the open source DCRAW library. In that case it might be sufficient to upgrade that library (search your DLLs ).
04-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm curious- you stated that you think the pic isn't completely rendering, so… how many pixels wide is it? Full width, or something less?

The reason I ask is the camera firmware actually cuts off a narrow band of pixels on the sensor that you never see in your pics. It almost looks like you're getting some bleed into that band that is outside what you normally see in a pic.

Just a thought.
04-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Be aware that UFRAW is basically a converter (it can't handle JPEGs)

And yes, some programs are able to do interprete the RAW data correctly.

I don't know about Picasa; if Picasa is open source software, it will probably use the open source DCRAW library. In that case it might be sufficient to upgrade that library (search your DLLs ).
UFAW left my DNG's looking flat & even worst sending them into Gimp.

Picasa is Google, so I'm sure there is a way to get the DCRAW DLL, register it and see if it helps.

However, I installed the Pentax software that came with the K5. I've tried a lot of the pay software, but so far, I kind of like it. Not to sure about how I'll change my work-flow, but no problems with any lines on either side.