Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

New K 5 --- Need Answers

Just got my new K 5 in yesterday...a big jump from my old 35 SLR. Did take some nice pictures with it today but I do need some help.....I do not understand what " Capture Mode " is or how I put myself in capture mode to go to my set-ups.Pentax just takes it for granted that you should know what it is when you buy such a good camera I guess. Pretty much the same goes for " Playback mode " ( if you've got the time ) THANK YOU !!! Another question is ...I purchased a used lens with this camera ( B & H photo is where I purchased and gave this website credit ) It is a manual focus lens, an Asahi 135mm 2.5 mfg around 1980 I guess. My problem is that on manual focus I can't get the " in focus " dot to appear in the viewfinder nor can I get the Beep to sound to tell me that I'm in focus. Do you think that that lens does not work in my camera ?? When I try it I get F-- in my Viewfinder ....F-- on my LCD and F-- on my camera display. Do you know what that means ? Thanks for your time in reading this !!

03-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

The Beginner's Q&A section of this forum might be a better place to find answers to these questions.
03-30-2011, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Capture = taking the picture
Playback = looking at picture on LCD
F--- = you have to go into the custom settings to "allow aperture ring..."
Also check for focus indicator setting.

Another trip though the manual may prove valuable :-)
03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe Yvon Borque's e-book (or hard copy) might be a big help to you.
Explains everything much clearer than the Pentax Manual.

Pentax e-books

03-30-2011, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

If you, like me, didn't own an earlier Pentax DSLR before purchasing the K-5 then it will take a little while to become familiar with all that it has to offer. But after a while you will also start to appreciate the fine camera that is the K-5 Every day, I am becoming better aquainted with my new friend.

Here are some tips for how you can learn as well --

1) First, read through the manual. Much of it will not make a lot of sense in the first read, but it is good place to start and will help as you learn. Kind of like reading the table of contents before reading a book -- gives you a basic understanding of what you can expect as you move foward using your camera.

2) Start using the camera -- referring to the manual as you need -- but keep it simple and just try things.

3) Examine your pictures and notice what you like and don't like. Try and duplicate the things that work and avoid the things that didn't

4) After using it a bit, re-read the manual and/or download Yvon Borque's K-5 intro book at PENTAX DSLRs: Download a free sample of the Pentax K-5 e-book before you purchase. Re-reading the manual or reading Borque's book after using the camera will likely give you a lot of ah-ha moments and should help bring your understanding of the camera into focus. (Note: Borque's book has a good deal of typos and is only avialable in a downloadable version, but the pictures and quick read really have helped me learn the basics of the camera. Would love one of the Magic Lantern books, but it seams they are not writing one for the K-5.)

5) Start using it again, now with a stronger of understanding of your new friend. I am really looking forward to this weekend and the opportunity to shoot with a better understanding of the K-5's many features.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your camera.

Kathie
03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Will do, Balog.Thanks
03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
That's what I thought "capture Mode " was.Apparently , just turn the camera on and I'm in capture mode...right? I think maybe the lens I bought will not Beep or give me the focus dot in the viewfinder because it is below a 5.6 (it's a 2.5 )...I read in the back of the manual last night around 1:00 AM in a lens compatability chart that certain functions will work on certain old manual lens of only 5.6 or faster.I have a 135mm 2.5 km.Will call B&H today.THANK YOU SPECIAL K

03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you Kathie and Bramela.I just downloaded a copy of Yvon Borque's book.I did take some pictures yesterday and got some really nice phots using my 35mm Macro limited.GREAT colors when the sun started to go down ( was right on top of some deer....great color and sharpness)Kathie ,your post was very encouraging...I feel better today than I did last night . I'll read my new manual...Thanks again.
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
.. I think maybe the lens I bought will not Beep or give me the focus dot in the viewfinder because it is below a 5.6 (it's a 2.5 )...I read in the back of the manual last night around 1:00 AM in a lens compatability chart that certain functions will work on certain old manual lens of only 5.6 or faster.I have a 135mm 2.5 km.Will call B&H today.THANK YOU SPECIAL K
I also have an old M 135/2.5 and it works fine on my K-x and K200D, and I am VERY confident that lens will work 100% fine on the K-5. I wouldn't rush to return it to B&H, but rather take a moment to make sure you are using it properly on your camera.

On my Kx/K200D the focus dot appears no problem at all.

To use older manual lenses on modern Pentax DSLR's, as p339 of the K-5 manual says, you need to make sure you have the 'Using Aperture Ring' setting set to 'Permitted'. [Menu > Custom Settings > 27. Using Aperture Ring].

Then:
- set the lens aperture wide open or to 'A' if the lens has that setting,
- put the lens on the camera,
- the camera will then ask what focal length the lens is (for SR to work),
- set the camera to shoot in Av or Manual mode (preferred), and then
- before you take a shot, press the green button down briefly to get the camera to set the metering for the aperture or shutter speed you've selected (per p-102 of the manual), or do a DOF preview.

By default (I think) when using manual focus lenses the 'in-focus' AF confirmation indicator will only work in centre-spot mode, so that's where to look for your focus target.
03-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks rawr...Tomorrow my project will be to see if I can get that lens to work on my K5.....I will post if it works.Thank You !! Also going to contribute to the site tomorrow..you guys are a big help and this is a fun place to be on.
03-31-2011, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Adk X,

I didn't really read the other answers, so excuse me if this has already been posted.

One way of thinking is that Capture is the 1st tab (leftmost), Playback is #2, Setup is #3, and Custom is #4 in the menu system.

Capture is taking the pic, Playback is reviewing on the LCD, Setup refers to Language, sounds, time/date, etc, and Custom allows you to change defaults in button and switch assignments and adjustment parameters -- and then there are the Info Screen and four way controller menus. . . The camera is almost infinitely adjustable for multitudes of customer preferences -- it's got to be complicated. . .

It's quite intimidating, but you'll get used to the logic of it. . .maybe. . .

Scott
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you Snostorm !! I defy anyone to try to find where it states in the manual where the capture mode...playback...setup ...and custom modes are to be found !!!! Now I think I get it.Thanks again Scott !
03-31-2011, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
Thank you Snostorm !! I defy anyone to try to find where it states in the manual where the capture mode...playback...setup ...and custom modes are to be found !!!! Now I think I get it.Thanks again Scott !
Like you, I found the K5 manual and instructions very absurb. It's a very good camera, but if Pentax improves on the small little things like some proper information on how to use manual focus lenses, and many others, it will be more successful. I switched from Canon, and it was a real culture shock. Despite using DSLRs for many years and film SLRs since 1964, I nearly sold my K5 after 2 weeks because I just simply could not understand even the use of some of the switches until an experienced Pentax user showed me the way. So, my advise to you is to seek out an experienced Pentax K5 user and go shoot with him for a day.
04-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you rawr....got the lens to work.Pentax really has a CRAPPY manual !!Took some photos off my porch and the K 5 took some really nice pics with this cheapie lens. I'm going to have some fun with this 135mm 2.5 !Thanks again rawr...you made my day !
04-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
Anthony,I know alittle bit about photography ...had a 35 mm too ,took a college course....I took quite a few pictures in the past and wanted to get back into it,bought a really nice camera and Pentax leaves you STRANDED with that " Thing " they call a manual.I can't say enough bad about that manual...I am not what you would call not-educated ..I have written magazine articles and have written most of my life..I remember having to write instructions as part of a college course at one point in time...so it makes me wonder what Pentax was thinking when they OK'd the release of those instructions. It is a bad reflection on Pentax and a slap in the face of anyone that buys a new K 5 !!! The upside of my new experience is that Pentax LIVE CHAT SUPPORT was excellent so far,very quick and knowledgeable and you guys here on this website have been a big help and have kept this on an even keel for me...THANKS !!!