Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r beginner issues.

Hi, my girlfriend has just bought her first DSLR, we've been both shooting film before, and it certainly feels very different. The first two things that bugged us a little were the manual focus inaccuracy and some unexplainable camera blur at 1/60.
We did some shots with the 18-55 mm kit lens and some with the 50mm 1.7 M lens. The unanimous opinion on this forum is that the M lens beats the crap out of the kit in terms of sharpness, but I found out that it's actually very hard to focus it properly. The image appeared sharp on the matte screen, I swear, but it came out front-focused. Only stopped down to f/8 provided enough DOF to cover the misfocus, but I'd like to be able to shoot at full aperture also, because the bokeh is absolutely killer. How could the focus in the viewfinder be adjusted to be in concordance with the final image?
Second problem: one image has camera blur, at only 1/60! Shouldn't the shake reduction have been activated? How can I tell if it was? The image is strangely blurred, because it was in bright daylight, ISO 100, f/8, if that matters.

03-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The M50 is better than the kit. No surprise there.

DSLRs are not particularly user-friendly for exact manual focusing. You might try a Katz-eye or other focusing aid.

I think there are many posts about a mirror-slap blur at the shutter-speed you are asking about. Check the K-r forum.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not have a M50 or K-r, and rarely MF :-)
03-31-2011, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check the diopter correction

Last edited by max_pyne; 03-31-2011 at 09:24 AM.
03-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good tip about the diopter, it was set on middle, now at home I found out that it shouldn't have been there, as the correction goes from -2 to +1, so 0 is not at halfway. Will fix it as soon as possible while focusing at infinity. But what's with the "mirror-slap blur"?

03-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

You could check the settings from the blur image over, open the selected image, and press the info button until you can see all the settings. There the hand pictogram should if shake reduction was activated be green. And if turned off strikethrough and not green. Sorry I’m not having the camera in front of me… :-)
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Manual focusing

I found manual focusing to be harder without a split ring focus screen, but with a little work and some time spent practicing your focus skills can be greatly enhanced. Try these focus exercises they were written up by a poster at another photography forum and they work quite well. I've found the to be very boring to do but effective.

NaCl(practice is boring but it gets the job done)H2O
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
The blur you're describing and the one SpecialK is mentioning is related to the Pentax k-x and not the k-r.

The k-x had a (slight) blur caused by the sensor shift/shutter vibration or a combination of both, at this particular shutter speed and i remember reading that it's not present on the k-r. I have k-r (bought recently) but didn't do any tests regarding this.

Best wishes
03-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does this render the 1/60 speed unusable?

03-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If setting the diopter does not help the problem might a bit misaligned focus screen. There are different thickness shims available to correct this, but since the camera is new (?) and the focus screen is not meant to be user replaceable it would probably be better to make use of the warranty. The 3rd party focus screens are also very useful with MF lenses (Katzeye, focusingscreen.com, Ebay / jinfinance).
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Live View can also help with MF, its slower but you can really nail focus if you zoom in on the LCD when MF
03-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
one image has camera blur, at only 1/60! Shouldn't the shake reduction have been activated?
If it's only one image, I think it's most likely the photographer. Even with years of perfected technique, nobody can guarantee 100% perfection every shot. SR isn't a magic cure that eliminates all camera motion, it can compensate for a minor amount of movement, but that's it.

Does this render the 1/60 speed unusable?
If you believe there is something wrong, it's simple enough to test - place the camera on a tripod, disable shake-reduction, and take a picture using the self-timer. If there is motion-blur at that specific shutter speed, you'll see it pretty readily.
03-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
rfg

one image has camera blur, at only 1/60! Shouldn't the shake reduction have been activated? How can I tell if it was?
One thing I had to get used to is that there is a small lag when you press the shutter half way until the SR is locked in (half a second or so?). You have to wait for the green hand to come on in the view finder.
04-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
One thing I had to get used to is that there is a small lag when you press the shutter half way until the SR is locked in (half a second or so?). You have to wait for the green hand to come on in the view finder.
True, but that half-second is pretty trivial compared to the ten second or so delay while I manually focused my Spotmatic. Even back then, you still had to partly depress the shutter release to avoid jarring the camera during exposure.

Paul
04-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Even back then, you still had to partly depress the shutter release to avoid jarring the camera during exposure.
What?