Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
This is the same case with Camera Raw 6, you really never touch the original you make changes to a virtual copy of it (if that is the right terminology)
It stores details of the changes in the sidecar file - the .XMP.

Extensible Metadata Platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
It stores details of the changes in the sidecar file - the .XMP.

Extensible Metadata Platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ya what he said lol
04-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll echo what Rick said about Faststone.

I shoot in RAW, and Faststone opens them just fine. It will NOT save back to RAW but will force you to save to a different file type (I always save from RAW to JPEG after processing). The latest version of Faststone has some improved tools, and is very good in my opinion for routine processing.

If I have something more advanced to do, I just hit the hot-key in Faststone to open the RAW file in Photoshop, fix it up, save it to a TIFF (or maybe JPEG) from Photoshop, open the modified version in Faststone and finish the processing.

The point is that by shooting RAW, the originals are never touched, and I have the full dynamic range of the RAW file to work with if needed.

Faststone is quick and easy, and does nice batch processing if you want. For me, it is a very smooth and fast workflow.

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote

At this point unless I plan to do more than post it on the internet somewhere, something like Faststone or Picasa does it for me. I don't even work on Raw files unless I plan to print or more, so everything is from a good jpeg file.

It all depends on your expectations and quality of original file, whether Raw or Jpeg. Picasa Picasa 3: Free download from Google and Faststone FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... will open just about any Raw file out there. On Picasa, you work on an image and it automatically saves it with the option to undo to original file, on Faststone you will need to save and no turning back. BUT Faststone can do just a little bit more than Picasa. Neither have any Noise Reduction option which is a bummer!

Short answer would be Picasa, if you're working on a good image to start with , works on a PC as well as an Intel Mac... Good luck, Have fun - Rick
04-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use PSP X3 and while it meets my needs, and can accept most if not all photoshop plug ins, I find corel slow to upgrade for new cameras and their issue resolution process is a little wanting. As others have commented the indexing is a little slow since they changed from one index per folder to one big index

Right now there is a bug where they track in the index the last opened date and confuse this with the creation date and the last modified date so there is no way to reliably sort images by date. Their resolution was to ask me to phone them to discuss in person, but the expert was unavailable and they assured me they would call back. This never happened and they closed the defect report as solved. They seem to do this a lot.

At some point I may bite the bullet and change even though the software is pretty intuitive

04-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I was very happy using PSP, with an old version of Elements for processing the RAW and saving as a PSD, except for two things. 1) many of the tools only work on 8-bit images, and 2) colour-managed workflow is hard compared to the Adobe offerings. So when I was doing an Open University course I brought a student copy of CS4. My old copy of Elements wouldn't have managed to process RAW files from the E510 I subsequently brought, not from the K7 I've replaced it with. I used the PSP batch convert to convert all my pspimage files to PSD - originally I saved as pspimage but switched to PSD when I axquired Elements.

I agree that Corel aren't very good at supporting PSP.