Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #1

Pentax K-X Body Quality ??

Hello there,

I have got a K-X for 3 months and I had a small problem about memory card cover. As if there is a space, it was moving a little when you even gently touch it.

And also the plastic body part on which you handle with your right hand in order to shoot a photo is moving a little. The sound tic tock can be heard also.

a week ago I send the camera to the guaranteed repairer here in Turkey. And today they phoned me saying there is nothing wrong, they compared the camera with another k-x there and there should be some portion that it can move, he said the repairman. Shortly, he said its normal to have some moving.

But the camera does not seem solid and safe with these movings :S

Is it something normal, or should the camera be like a stone without any moving on that parts??

Regards

04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does the camera work?. The repair center will look at your issue in this way. If they find that the camera works properly, they are not likely to repair it.
04-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I no longer have a K-x body, but what you describe on the right hand grip sounds normal. I've owned two K-x bodies, both bought brand new, and I know exactly what you are talking about. The build on the K-x is decent, but it's not as tight or solid as the more expensive bodies and I think this is one area where it's noticable. I don't recall specificlaly having any issues with the memory card cover, although again, I know in comparison to other bodies (especially the K10D/K20D) it does feel a bit more flimsy. Even the K-5/K-7 memory door isn't as substantial as the K10D/K20D memory door.
04-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Does the camera work?. The repair center will look at your issue in this way. If they find that the camera works properly, they are not likely to repair it.
Yes gp1806, the camera work and the repairman asnwered me like you said, no willing to do anything about it. But it's tedious to have a camera some of whose parts are moving =(

04-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I no longer have a K-x body, but what you describe on the right hand grip sounds normal. I've owned two K-x bodies, both bought brand new, and I know exactly what you are talking about. The build on the K-x is decent, but it's not as tight or solid as the more expensive bodies and I think this is one area where it's noticable. I don't recall specificlaly having any issues with the memory card cover, although again, I know in comparison to other bodies (especially the K10D/K20D) it does feel a bit more flimsy. Even the K-5/K-7 memory door isn't as substantial as the K10D/K20D memory door.
You're the first user who said it's normal like the repairman said to me today. But I wish I had known it before. All other friends here on local forum said they havent got any moving parts like mine on their bodies .

Whatelse, now I'm hoping to have better results from my further attemps about getting better technical help.
04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by may_bailey Quote
You're the first user who said it's normal like the repairman said to me today. But I wish I had known it before. All other friends here on local forum said they havent got any moving parts like mine on their bodies .
I think it depends what you mean by "moving parts". It's not like the K-x is poorly built or falls apart in your hands. It's actually a very nice camera. When I said it wasn't as well built, that was in comparison to the K20D/K-7 bodies, which are built more like tanks. Regarding the right grip, it's not so much that anything moves, it just creaks a little bit and has more flex than other bodies I that I had used. Does that make sense?
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I jusst pulled my Kx out, to look and the only 2 items theat seem to move some, are the battery cover and then the memory card cover, the grip is real tight, and the body parts or tight also. I have had mine since November 2010. I get that tic-toc sound from the battery cover. no where else. I would think since the whole body is platic, I could see some play in some area happening.
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
A-z
Forum Member

My grip is also firm, no movement at all.

My battery cover is a bit loose, but that's from dropping my k-x on concrete

I wouldn't be too happy with wobbly bits when buying a new dslr.

That said, i held the entry canikons when I bought my k-x and they were both pretty flimsy feeling in the shop - doubt they would have survived the concrete landing, but I know i'm lucky that mine did!

Was it like that from new?

Last edited by A-z; 04-01-2011 at 10:57 AM.
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I feel real lucky being these bodies are plastic. I use a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and a Sigma 135-400 all of the time. I afraid those heave lenses are going to break off the front of the camera. When I use those lenses, I carry it around by the lens tripod mount.
04-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The sound tic tock can be heard also.
Remember the K-x has sensor shake reduction... That's what that noise is. It is perfectly normal. It means the sensor moves around within a magnetic field within the body. I believe there is a sticky on the topic.

Compared to some other entry-level DSLR's I've played with, the K-x feels as solid as a rock.

You are worrying too much.
04-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
I jusst pulled my Kx out, to look and the only 2 items theat seem to move some, are the battery cover and then the memory card cover, the grip is real tight, and the body parts or tight also. I have had mine since November 2010. I get that tic-toc sound from the battery cover. no where else. I would think since the whole body is platic, I could see some play in some area happening.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't being very clear before (I just reread it and understand how it sounds now). When I said the grip, I meant when you hold the right grip you can feel the battery cover move a little bit. It's not that the grip itself is moving, but you can feel the battery cover wiggle a bit.
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Remember the K-x has sensor shake reduction... That's what that noise is. It is perfectly normal. It means the sensor moves around within a magnetic field within the body. I believe there is a sticky on the topic.

Compared to some other entry-level DSLR's I've played with, the K-x feels as solid as a rock.

You are worrying too much.
The noise of tic-toc is coming from right grip("right" if looking from backside). it's heard If you try to push it to left side or right side a bit tightly (dont mean a strong pushing).

is the noise "tic-toc" normal? As it's beacuse of sensor shake reduction? But it doesnt make you feel in safe. That's not something good. And also do not other Pentax products have SR system ? Do you hear anything using other kinds of Pentaxs?

And I am thinking of my future days. I will need to upgrade to K-7 or K-5 one day and how can I sell my camera with that moving tic-tac noise? How will the buyer trust my word "it's normal."
No man, sorry, it's very difficult to trust on that technological reason and feel ourselves better with a camera like that
04-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is this a black K-x you are talking about. I have a white K-x and it is very solid. It feels much more solid than any low end Canikon I've tried.
04-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Is this a black K-x you are talking about. I have a white K-x and it is very solid. It feels much more solid than any low end Canikon I've tried.
Yeah boriscleto, it's a black k-x but whats the relation, I couldnt get it.

I wish mine would be solid one and the repairermen do sth as they accept the "movings" (which is normal for them- but not for me)
04-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah boriscleto, it's a black k-x but whats the relation, I couldnt get it.

I wish mine would be solid one and the repairermen do sth as they accept the "movings" (which is normal for them- but not for me)
It's just that I've always heard that the colored K-x has a different build quality than the black K-x. The only place that anything seems loose on my white K-x is one corner of the pop-up flash.