Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Whitewashed faces on photos

Hi!

I am newbie KX user from India.

Lately (and this was not happening earlier) I find the faces to come out absolutely whitewashed whenever I use Flash in any mode while shooting in low light conditions.

Can anyone help me on this ?

04-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This would happen with a manual lens (pre A-series) or a manual (no pttl, old, cheap or both) flash. If it this happens with a more modern lens than the M-series and a pttl flash (such as the built-in) posting sample snaps *with* EXIF info would most likely help in figuring out the problem.
04-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
try to reduce the power of the Flash ( press the flash icone, use the wheel to push it to -0.3 EV or -0.5, it would be better.
04-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
try to reduce the power of the Flash ( press the flash icone, use the wheel to push it to -0.3 EV or -0.5, it would be better.
Aggree with this advice and add the use of a home-made defuser... (35mm film can... Black duct-tape over the back so you're not blinded... Cut a slot out to fit over the onboard flash...)

04-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bhaven Quote
Hi!

I am newbie KX user from India.

Lately (and this was not happening earlier) I find the faces to come out absolutely whitewashed whenever I use Flash in any mode while shooting in low light conditions.

Can anyone help me on this ?
If you're in a dimly lit room using "Matrix" metering then the camera/flash is going to compensate for the darkness, and most likely will wash out any subject closer to the front of camera.

I would try to change metering pattern to center weighted or even spot, meter a face, use your AE lock, compose and shoot...

Good luck, Rick
04-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help - reducing the power of the Flash was the first thing I tried and it worked.

Thanks a zillion again.