Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Were you following the guidelines for spare batteries?
ALL the batteries were stored in rigid plastic battery cases of the appropriate size that snap securely shut. There was no danger of shorting or anything else.

They simply were not going to permit anyone to carry extra batteries onto the plane. And had a print-out stating such. "All batteries must be in the photographic equipment" No spares.

04-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
Seems like the best and easiest way would be to mail them back and forth...

Most AA's have the semi rigid plastic case that can be removed and kept. Just keep one or two around when you plan to travel, place them in that and tape it shut.

That should suffice.
That's exactly how my batteries were carried. Each set in it's own case. No issues with them accidentally shorting out. They were in turn stored in a camera bag which protected them from crushing or anything else.

It did not suffice.
04-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
When I travelled, there was no problem with my four AAs in the camera, 4 AAs in the flash, nor the four I had rubber-banded together in another pocket of the camera case. I guess it depends on the screening system and screeners.
04-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Recently, returning from Ukraine, a whole passel of AA's in their original packaging were confiscated - no excess batteries in carry-on, only what's in your devices. I thought it odd, but apparently it's more widespread than I imagined. Really absurd, if you ask me.

Frankly, I think TSA is whacked. I feel no more or less safer today than I did 11 years ago.

04-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
...Frankly, I think TSA is whacked. I feel no more or less safer today than I did 11 years ago.
There is an element of the TSA system that's random. (I'm too optimistic to say it's entirely random.) Yeah, they have rules, but the rules may not exactly cover your situation. Or the rules have changed. Or the enforcement of the rules has changed. They actually encourage randomness, theoretically to keep the terrorists guessing. When your flight leaves in less than an hour, you don't time for a full judicial proceeding.

I figure one of these days, a TSA screener will ask me if my K-7 is a video camera. I think my best choice is to lie and say it isn't, hoping he does not notice the movie camera icon on the mode dial.
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I believe that spare lithium batteries must also be individually wrapped in plastic bags, or some other insulator. There is a small chance that the terminals of the battery could short circuit (possibly by bumping other metallic objects in your carryon) and overheat, causing a risk of fire.

I've never heard of this actually happening, but apparently, it is theoretically possible, so they're trying to guard against it.
A friend of mine had a lithium battery go up whilst charging it. It was a li-poly (wasn't a camera battery in particular) rather than a li-ion but the risks are the same roughly, this was a 800mAh two cell pack (7.4v) - He mis-connected it by accident and it left a metre wide black mark on the floor of his garage... So it does happen - rare, but it does!