Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x/batteries on a plane?

I will be traveling soon and wondered whether U.S. airport security looks askance at all the batteries I plan to carry on: 4 for my K-x, 4 extras, and 4 in my flash. Are there any other pieces of equipment that they get excited about?

04-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Never heard of AA batteries problem, laptop draws more attention.
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shouldn't be a problem for the batteries in the camera and the flash. If you are worried put your spare batteries in your suitcase.

NaCl(I've never had a problem)H2O
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lithium batteries

Lithium batteries aren't allowed in checked baggage (they must be carried on), although alkaline or rechargables are.

04-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeatKnight Quote
Lithium batteries aren't allowed in checked baggage (they must be carried on), although alkaline or rechargables are.
I had no idea about this rule.

QuoteQuote:
Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage.
You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage. Please see our Spare Battery Tips and How-To sections to find out how to pack spare batteries safely!
If you pack a device containing batteries, secure it against activation by locking the activation switch in the "off" position, placing the device in a protective case, or by other appropriate measures.
For personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This is the case for cell phone batteries, "hearing aid" button cells, and AA batteries/AAA batteries available in retail stores, as well as almost all standard laptop computer batteries.
See "Larger Batteries" to find out about more powerful batteries, such as extended-life "universal batteries" and batteries designed for professional audio-visual applications.
Safe Travel
04-02-2011, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I believe that spare lithium batteries must also be individually wrapped in plastic bags, or some other insulator. There is a small chance that the terminals of the battery could short circuit (possibly by bumping other metallic objects in your carryon) and overheat, causing a risk of fire.

I've never heard of this actually happening, but apparently, it is theoretically possible, so they're trying to guard against it.
04-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I had no idea about this rule.
Yeah, the dreaded Lithium curse.
There is talk also that they may in the near future put some sort of limit on the number of lithium batteries permitted.
The rule is buried in the TSA rules that can be found on-line or through some travel or airline websites.

04-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #8

I recently (Jan 2011) carried on a k-x with Lithium batteries, a flash with alkaline batteries, a spare set for each (unopened packages), plus and unopened package of Eneloops. No problems.
04-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Just to clarify, Texas Transplant, the rule only is concerned with
non-rechargeable Lithium batteries only.
04-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Just to clarify, Texas Transplant, the rule only is concerned with
non-rechargeable Lithium batteries only.
The rule I quoted and linked to is from the DOT and applies to rechargeable and non-rechargeable lithium batteries:

Safe Travel - Lithium Definitions

QuoteQuote:
Lithium Batteries. When you see this term alone on SafeTravel pages, it refers to both lithium ion batteries and lithium metal batteries.
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I believe that spare lithium batteries must also be individually wrapped in plastic bags, or some other insulator. There is a small chance that the terminals of the battery could short circuit (possibly by bumping other metallic objects in your carryon) and overheat, causing a risk of fire.

I've never heard of this actually happening, but apparently, it is theoretically possible, so they're trying to guard against it.
Thanks for that too. I hadn't realized they had these precautions specified.

Safe Travel - Battery Tips

I've always carried mine in either original packaging or the plastic holders, but it's good to be aware of this rule.
04-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently returning from Mexico to the USA, 4 rechargeable Sony 2100 mah AA batteries were confiscated from my carry-on. They had a print out from the TSA listing restricted items and one of the things on it was "spare batteries". All batteries had to be IN the equipment being carried (cameras, cell phones, laptops, etc). It was in Spanish, but it clearly originated with the TSA.

So...

I tried to find this obscure regulation on the TSA website and found nothing. Nothing was said about the extra batteries when leaving the USA, only when returning.
04-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by hray Quote
Are there any other pieces of equipment that they get excited about?
Aye heaps of stuff, not usually photographic stuff, more the kind that gets folk killed.
04-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Recently returning from Mexico to the USA, 4 rechargeable Sony 2100 mah AA batteries were confiscated from my carry-on. They had a print out from the TSA listing restricted items and one of the things on it was "spare batteries". All batteries had to be IN the equipment being carried (cameras, cell phones, laptops, etc). It was in Spanish, but it clearly originated with the TSA.

So...

I tried to find this obscure regulation on the TSA website and found nothing. Nothing was said about the extra batteries when leaving the USA, only when returning.
Were you following the guidelines for spare batteries?

QuoteQuote:
  • If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating the batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry.
  • Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents short-circuiting.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short-circuit, resulting in overheating.
04-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Seems like the best and easiest way would be to mail them back and forth...

Most AA's have the semi rigid plastic case that can be removed and kept. Just keep one or two around when you plan to travel, place them in that and tape it shut.

That should suffice.
04-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

One set was in the cameras plus I put 2 sets of AA's back in the plastic containers they came in, tucked them into a lens bag with a micro cloth around them. Flying domestic USA I had no problems with them per se.

That being said they did swab my laptop etc. Actually, they made me unpack it ALL. They also gave me heck about not wanting to surrender my cash or traveler's checks even though I had a supposedly approved travel wallet, no metal zippers etc. One time I was allowed to keep those just in my hand during the scans, which I was fine with, but the second time, they did everything but do a full body cavity search just because I wouldn't let them have direct access to my money.

FYI, I had a good reason for not surrendering it. Both airports I had to go through have had documented incidents in the past year of TSA employees taking money etc from carry on baggage. There have been 3 arrests at both airports so no, I wasn't just being anal.

Honestly, I hated flying this time. If I had to go to Europe I guess I still would, but in terms of domestic flights I think I am done with it all. I get the need for more security, but when I can't even hold my money and ID in my hand without getting harassed I think I'd rather drive than fly. Add to the security discomfort thing the massive upper resp infection I got and I think I'm much rather skip flying if at all possible in future.