Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #1

Pentax K-x lens not recognized/others malfunctions.

Received my k-x mid January and never really had a problem except the fact that it ran on AA batteries, but other than that. I liked it.

But just recently, started about 2 weeks ago..

First the camera was making an infinite autofocus noise though I was shooting in MF.

I changed it to AF, It didn't focus on anything, It just focused in, then out. Couldn't even shoot a picture. Unlike MF, I was able to snap a photo, just annoyed by the autofocusing noise.

Turned off then back on, All of the sudden the f-stop and shutter speed were just blinking and going wild into different numbers. Turned it off and back on, Same thing.

Left my K-x alone for a few days disappointed, Turned it back on and it doesn't make the ridiculous infinite autofocusing noise. Auto focus still doesn't focus, and I don't really care about that, i'll just adjust to mf.

But now, today, It doesn't recognize the f-stop, and leaves it blank, as well as the shutter speed.

I turned it off and removed the lens, clipped it back on, and still the same. Only a few times i am able to shoot with it now. I don't know what the hell is going on. Please help.

Never dropped it either. So I don't know why it's doing this.

04-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Original Poster
Video of the malfunction.

04-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do a firmware update before you do anything else!
04-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you reset your K-x by holding down Menu button and then turning it on?
I've had my aperture not show and lens error but there is a menu item allowing use of aperture rings that I missed... but my error was because I was trying to use an old manual lens without that set. I'm thinking your error is probably more lens based than body.. do you have any other lenses to try?
A quick look I found how to adjust your AF for the K-X since there is no AF fine tune like the K-5/K-7
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23723765/Pentax-Kx-Pentax-K-x-AF-adjustment-throug...ted-debug-mode

Last edited by Chex; 04-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.
04-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

sorry to state the obvious but do you have no warranty?
04-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would try and diagnose the problem before blindly sending it in for warranty, especially if its your only camera body. The time warranty takes, your a month or so without your camera. If its just a lens issue maybe go down to a local shop and see if they have any (even old manual lenses) you can throw on and try. If it is your lens, send just it back for warranty or servicing. If it is off warranty and costs over $100 to fix, you would be better off upgrading to a newer 18-55 WR kit lens IMO. Or maybe something like the Tamron 28-75mm Macro or Sigma 17-70mm macro for general purpose/macro use all in one.

Have you had the lens off, check the mounting plates and the pins and contacts on the lens and body to see if you can recognize any possible damage.
04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check that you are mounting your lens properly, not half-on etc.

Also check that your power supply (ie batteries) aren't part of the problem. Go buy a new set of Energizer Lithiums, set the battery type to Lithium, put the Energizers in, wait 30 seconds, turn the camera on.

Then also (for good measure) re-set all the camera settings to their defaults , as per p-281 of the K-x manual:

- Select [Reset] in the [ Set-up 3] menu and press the [>] four-way controller button.
- The [Reset] screen appears.
- Press the [^] four-way controller button to select [Reset] and press the OK button.
- The camera settings are reset.

Turn the camera off, then turn it on again, and see if all that made a difference.
04-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

If resets and firmware don't help, send it in. I don't know if I would reinstall the firmware, it could be risky, but at this point (keep that video as time stamped proof) you don't have much to lose.

04-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help so far; I'm uploading a video of doing all your guys' suggestions(None worked).

But I haven't tried the firmware yet. Downloading it right now, but If I reinstall the firmware, what do I lose when I reinstall it?
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
And, I just did the firmware update, still dead.
04-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Holding the menu button while turning on the camera does not reset anything, it only shows what version of firmware you have loaded. It also begins the sequence of updating the firmware if the camera finds a BIN file in the root directory. Either it works or not and in your case, looks like it worked.

The camera should be able to fire without a lens. My K5 does anyway. It should behave as though you have a plain M type lens on the camera also by showing you F-- for aperture. Yours didn't do that from what I saw (may have but I didn't see it) but I see it asked for a focal length. However, when you tried to change the shutter speed, nothing happened other than it blinking with the turn of the dial.

There are actually several resets throughout the menu system. See page 280 of your manual for them. I don't have any faith in any of them working but it can't hurt to try all of them.

One last suggestion I could make... Try reformatting (A Full format) your card in the computer. Try a different card if you have one. Try NO card.

If all that fails (and I'm betting it does),

Digital Camera Repair | C.R.I.S. A+ BBB Rating

04-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It seems like you've tried almost everything, so since the camera is under warranty(?), it might be time to send it in.

Paul
01-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #14

so how to fix this problem? i have the same problem right now...

Last edited by yoghi; 01-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.