Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by supernova Quote
The firmware update did it!!
Thanks a MILLION!!!

Here's the link I used:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!! =)
(Now I'm goin' out to play w/ my camera!!!)
Excellent news, how did you manage to keep the camera powered on long enough to do the FW update?.

12-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #17

Prayer. LOL

Seriously though, if I used non rechargeables, sometimes I could get it to pop on, give me the "batteries depleted" message, then it would shut off. So when I put the card in, with non-rechargeables, held down the "menu" button, it went right to the card, which had the firmware updates on it.
So it updated the 2 "phases", then I shut it off, turned it back on and voila! It's workin fine & dandy!
I also told my neighbor about it, because they have the same exact camera.
Wish I'd known about this fix six months ago. I've missed so many important moments in my kids' lives.
12-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Great; I was also curious.

Just warn your neighbor that if the batteries get really depleted in the process, the camera has to go to a service centre to get updated.
07-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #19

Hello, I have the same problem as the original poster, I'm looking forward to updating the firmware, but that raises the question, how do you upgrade the firmware on a camera that won't turn on?

a little history of my camera, I always use rechargebale batteries, up until early this year i put the lithium batteries that came with the camera into the camera, I can't believe how long they worked, they apparently outlived the camera

Yesterday it was acting funny, i switched it off but the light stayed on, today i took another picture and tried to view it but it wouldn't go to the viewer, it had a blank screen, i switched it off, now nothing I do gets this camera on.

I tried freshly charged batteries, and the battery meter read full last time I checked on the lithiums anyway, but nothing, supernova, how did you get the firmware on there?

I'd like to

07-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Can you try fresh lithiums, at least 2100 mah?
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by molton Quote
how do you upgrade the firmware on a camera that won't turn on?
You can't. To load/update the firmware the camera must be on and have sufficient battery power to complete the process.
Yesterday it was acting funny, i switched it off but the light stayed on, today i took another picture and tried to view it but it wouldn't go to the viewer, it had a blank screen, i switched it off, now nothing I do gets this camera on.
If you just took a long exposure shot (>30 seconds) the camera will perform DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction) and will not respond to anything other physically removing the batteries. Although, you did mention you took another picture "today". This may be a very trivial question but did the camera actually took a shot (mirror flopped)?
I tried freshly charged batteries, and the battery meter read full last time I checked on the lithiums anyway
I would follow luftluss suggestion below. I would even try fresh from the package Alkaline just to test......good luck

Last edited by K57XR; 07-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #22

Thanks for the suggestions, I suppose it's worth buying a set of new lithium batteries to see if that can allow me to upgrade the firmware, assuming that's the problem. I wasn't taking a long exposure, I had the camera on the 15 second timer function I beleive the settings were f10 / 10 (not sure what the propper notation is, 10 for time) and i was using the stock 18-55 lens with the camera set on manual.

This is very upsetting to me because I had to replace my pentax k-100 with this camera because of strange power issues, now apparently I'm having power issues with the k-x, my k-100 saw 100 times the wear and tear that my k-x did.
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by supernova Quote
The firmware update did it!!
That's a great result, I feared it would a trip to the camera hospital

07-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you aren't using Eneloop or similar hybrid recharegeables, you should be - see the hundreds of posts all universally recommending these over standard NiMH cells.
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #25

Ok, thanks for all your help (and product plugs ) I got the k-x back to it's former glory using freshly charged sony 2100mAh batteries. I had the firmware ready to go and as soon as it turned on i upgraded it. The camera was definitely acting funny, and the battery meter read completely full before it stopped working, but i suppose it could have been as simple as low batteries and the camera reading it wrong because it was still set to nimh, but it is working again and it was not a power issue, could've just been human error i suppose if that battery choice thing is that important.
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Good you have your K-x going again. If you had the original firmware 1.00 the battery level will be wrong. It was one of the major issues with that particular fw. Enjoy the K-x, that's one great little camera.
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #27

In my case my camera was the original 1.00 firmware, I upgraded from 1.00 to 1.03.