Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #1

Pentax k-x won't turn on?

Hi! My pentax k-x won't turn on. It has suffered no damage that I know of, but after I added new batteries it won't work! The batteries were just charged..
If you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated! Thanks

04-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Make sure they are in the correct position , and try satandard AA non rechargeable to see if it's the rechargeable
04-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy disposable LITHIUMS.

I also hope you're set up for automatic battery-type detection:

I have no idea what the K-x does if you select "NiMh" in the set-up menu, but then stick another battery type in there.

Also, try holding the Menu button down before switching it to On. If that doesn't work, do it with the Green Button. And finally, if the prior two don't work, hold the shutter release down before powering up.
04-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maggaloowhoo Quote
Hi! My pentax k-x won't turn on. It has suffered no damage that I know of, but after I added new batteries it won't work! The batteries were just charged..
If you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated! Thanks
+1 on the suggestions above. Try lithium or alkaline batteries fresh out of the package and see what happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I have no idea what the K-x does if you select "NiMh" in the set-up menu,
Itís essentially for the accuracy of the battery level inidcator. The camera should still turn on regardless of the setting.

04-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As was first suggested, check to be sure the batteries are in right. I have been known to hurry and get those suckers in wrong. LOL!
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #6

We've been having the same problems for months, and have had to resort to using our lousy point & shoot.
The most we've been able to get, is for the camera to come on long enough to display the message "batteries depleted", then it shuts off.

None of the previous suggestions worked for us.

We've bought 3 separate types of batteries, all of them are compliant with this camera...nothing works.
We put in regular disposable batteries (cheap ones as well as nice Energizers)...nothing works.
I looked up that wall adapter (k-ac84), but it's between $100 and $200 online.

Can we just skip the "make sure the batteries are inserted correctly" or "turn the camera to the ON position" suggestions?
If someone took the time to come on here looking for a solution, let's assume they've already tried the extreme basics. (yes, I know the joke about the word "assume", can we please skip that & try to get these cameras working?)
12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #7

Tried everything above, it's still now working.
No battery types work: disposable, cheap, expensive, rechargeable, old ones, brand-new ones....nothing.

The most we've had happen, is the camera turns on long enough to display the message "batteries depleted", then it shuts off. That was with a brand new set of expensive Energizers.
I looked up the K-AC84 adapter, they want from $100 to $200...that's too much just to find out that it's not the problem.

Also, can we just assume everyone has inserted their batteries correctly and switched the camera to the ON position. (yes, I know the joke about the word "assume"...can we please skip it & get these cameras working?).
Time is precious, especially with the Holidays quickly approaching.
We need a solution that works =)
Thanks =)

12-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Is your K-x firmware up to date? There was a problem before firmware update 1.02 was applied where the camera would show depleted batteries even from a new set.
12-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Buy some genuine Energizer Ultimate Lithiums or Sanyo Eneloop rechargables (with a genuine Sanyo eneloop charger). Nothing else. Makes sure there is no gunk in the camera battery compartment. Put the batteries into the camera. Wait a few minutes for the camera to do some detection on what sort of batteries are inside it. Then try powering it on.

If it powers up, get online and update the firmware to the latest version.

Last edited by rawr; 12-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The camera should start with any good batteries but if firmware is not updated, you have problem
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Just a word of caution: don't update the firmware until you've got a reliable battery solution. If the camera powers down in the middle of a firmware update, you'll need to send it to Pentax for repair.

As far as I know, there are no significant battery related differences between firmware versions 1.01 and 1.02. It's only worth the risk upgrading if you've got version 1.0 firmware (or you really need SDXC support).

There's also this thread, which might have relevant information.
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by supernova Quote
That was with a brand new set of expensive Energizers.
Lithiums, right?
Sounds like your camera needs a trip to a repair facility.
12-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

We've been having the same problems for months
Time is precious, especially with the Holidays quickly approaching.
Of course I have to be the cynical one, sorry.

And I can not give you the solution either If nothing that is suggested works, take it to a local camera store (hopefully there is one around). They might have the AC adaptor and that way be able to check the firmware version and do an update if necessary. If that's also not helping, time for 'a trip to the repair centre' as said in a previous post.
12-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #14

The firmware update did it!!
Thanks a MILLION!!!

Here's the link I used:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!! =)
(Now I'm goin' out to play w/ my camera!!!)
12-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums