Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Yashica Lens on Pentax DSLR

I just saw an add for a vintage Pentax film camera with a Yashica 50 mm lens mounted on it. Can other camera make lenses work on Pentax camera? Will they work like a Pentax M or A lens on a K-x? I knwo that many years ago other camera brands copied the Pentax bayonet mount. I just don't kow which ones are compatible.

04-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is, yes. Lots of third party lenses for Pentax. Sigma & Tamron both continue to produce lenses for Pentax today.

However, when you say vintage, how vintage are we talking? Is the camera k-mount or M42? If M42, as far as I know any M42 lens will work within the capabilities of the lens and camera.

Post a link to the ad and I think you will get more knowledgeable help, at this point I am only guessing.
04-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The only Yashica lens that will work on Pentax camera is the m42 mount. It is likely that the vintage camera you saw is the screw mount lens (e.g Asahi Honeywell) camera. The newly Yashica (ML) mount does not work with K-mount. If you want to use the same Yashica lens on your k-x, you will need the m42 to k-mount adapter.
04-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
I just saw an add for a vintage Pentax film camera with a Yashica 50 mm lens mounted on it. Can other camera make lenses work on Pentax camera? Will they work like a Pentax M or A lens on a K-x? I knwo that many years ago other camera brands copied the Pentax bayonet mount. I just don't kow which ones are compatible.
If you are looking at the one on the ES II on an auction site, that is an M42 mount camera. You will definitely need an M42 adapter. There are lots of threads on the forum about using the lenses, and the adapters.

04-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If that lens is an Auto Yashinon-DS 50/1.9, I have it. It will only work wide open on a Pentax dSLR. I don't have experience with other auto Yashinons, but all of them might be like that.

It needs modification to be able to manually close the aperture; I haven't collected the courage yet to do the surgery

In general, one needs to make sure that a M42 lens has a auto/manual switch. If not, surgery is involved as the camera has no means to close the aperture to the set value.
04-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have three Yashica 50's that I use on my K20D. One is an M42 Yashinon-DX 50/1.7 which has an A/M switch and only requires a standard M42-PK adapter. The others are a Yashica ML 50/1.4, and a Yashica DSB 50/1.9. Both of these are C/Y (Contax-Yashica) bayonet mounts and require some slight non-destructive surgery to force-fit onto a PK mount.

The Yashinon-DS 50/1.9 mentioned, and many Fujinon and other M42s, lack an M/A switch. These auto-only lenses are tricky to use on modern SLRs. Unmodified, they only shoot wide-open. The simple fix is to glue down the aperture pin. But that can be impossible to un-glue, thus reducing any resale value. The subtle fix is surgery -- disassemble the base, jigger the pin so it stays down, reassemble, and hope. I haven't tried that yet. Yes, I'm a coward. I have glued a few lenses, will glue no more, and I avoid auto-only M42s now.
04-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

RioRico, the DS does not have screws in the base. Any pointer as how to approach this? Can the base be screwed of with some subtle force?
04-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The others are a Yashica ML 50/1.4, and a Yashica DSB 50/1.9. Both of these are C/Y (Contax-Yashica) bayonet mounts and require some slight non-destructive surgery to force-fit onto a PK mount.
Expand please. Pics would be stellar.

04-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
RioRico, the DS does not have screws in the base. Any pointer as how to approach this? Can the base be screwed of with some subtle force?
I don't have any DS lenses so I know nothing about their base construction. Your only options might be: 1) glue the pin down; 2) shoot wide-open; or 3) sell it.

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
The others are a Yashica ML 50/1.4, and a Yashica DSB 50/1.9. Both of these are C/Y (Contax-Yashica) bayonet mounts and require some slight non-destructive surgery to force-fit onto a PK mount.
Expand please. Pics would be stellar.
I wrote it up here [ https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135398-how-do-...s-k-mount.html ]. OM and C/Y bases are similar enough that the mod is the same. The mod is simple and non-destructive, in that the lens can still be used on its native mount.
The problem with both OM and C/Y lenses viz PK mounts is that the bayonet flags on the lens bases are too thick to slide under the lugs of the PK camera mount. The solution is to taper the undersides of the leading edges of the flags, so that they *do* fit. I use a Dremel cut-off wheel #426 to shave away some of the flags' undersides, extending back about 10mm.

On an OM lens, do this to all three flags. On a C/Y lens, the leading edge of one flag has a notch in it, so only the other two flags need tapering. The lens will now force-fit onto a PK mount. If that seems too flimsy, use the Dremel to cut a slot 1mm deep and wide and 5mm long into the lens base in a position where the PK lens-lock pin will engage. THEN is is secure. And as I said, the lens can still be used on its native mount. Have fun!

NOTE: Another way to mod lenses is to remove the original base and replace it with a cheap safe flanged M42-PK adapter. I tried this with my first OM mod, a Vivitar-Tokina 35/2.8 but found that 1) it requires precisely grinding away some of the adapter, and 2) it messes-up the aperture linkages. Tapering the bayonet flags is much less problematic.
A good way to understand what is happening there is to get a cheap (<US$9) set of PK macro tubes. These come in pieces: the body and lens mount sections, and the extension sections. Hold the body mount section and insert the foreign lens. You have an inside-the-camera view of the action. You will immediately see that the bayonet flags don't fit under the mount lugs. Tapering then becomes obvious. I hope!

A follow-up questions was, does this allow infinity focus? The answer is yes.
04-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't have any DS lenses so I know nothing about their base construction. Your only options might be: 1) glue the pin down; 2) shoot wide-open; or 3) sell it.
Thanks for the thoughts
04-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Question answered

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you are looking at the one on the ES II on an auction site, that is an M42 mount camera. You will definitely need an M42 adapter. There are lots of threads on the forum about using the lenses, and the adapters.
Yes, This is what I saw. Looks like the M24 mount will work but not the others without surgery.

Thanks for the feedback.
04-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Note that the DS that I was referring to is a M42 lens and does not work properly without surgery. Rather let's say it's not fully functional as you can only shoot wide open.
04-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you manage to push the PIN in (and keep it stay there) it will work as if you had the A/M switch set to M. Then you can use the aperture ring in Av mode. I have a couple of the m42 mount lenses and both worked flawlessly this way. What I did was to use a small screw driver and push the PIN in to the side so it remains 'stuck' inside.
10-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I know this is an old thread, but,...
Has anyone gone the other way - Pentax K lens on to a Contax/Yashica mount?

I ask because Metabones do speedboosters for C/Y lenses, but not K-mount, which sux ballz is you want to use a FF K-M or K-A in front of a E-mount Speedbooster for the Super35 sized sensor of an Aja Cion.

We already made an E-mount for the Cion, which works really damn well with a non focal reducer type K-to-E Adapter and K-A and K-M lenses.
10-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Has anyone gone the other way - Pentax K lens on to a Contax/Yashica mount?
I believe there were adapters. Finding one may be an issue however.

Steve