Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Not sure what to buy to trigger flash with k-x

I don't really know much about a flash for the k-x other than the correct one for the hot shoe (I asked the BH forum person for the model.) But learning more I saw someone use a flash on a light stand with the flash attached to it. Wirelessly the Canon (it was in a youtube video) caused the flash to fire. He was using it to take out harsh shadow in a sunny day portrait. I wanted to do the same thing with the k-x. I did a search but am still not sure what to buy.

btw, this was the video:

What do I buy to do what this guy is doing?

Thanks for any help.

04-03-2011, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are four ways to trigger off camera flash:

1) The k-x can be set to send an optical signal from the pop-up flash to trigger a compatible flash. (Setting 17 on the custom menu and set flash to wireless) Not sure what all flashes will work with this, my Metz 48 AF-1 does.

2) Using a wired connection, either a PC cable if your flash and camera have that connection (k-x does not) or 1/8" mono cable and compatible adapters like these: Universal Translator. There are lots of other similar adapters available.

3) An optical slave trigger like this one. This will fire the off camera flash when it sees another flash gun fire, could be triggered by the pop-up flash or an on-camera flash gun. This works but is finicky and not as reliable as wired.

4) A set of radio slaves. Search eBay for dozens of brands and models and prices. I like this one and there is a very nice review of it here on the forum. This is the method being used in the video you posted. I cannot tell what brand he is using but there are dozens out there.

I am currently using a wired solution, but plan to get the radio slaves eventually.

I have no relationship with any of the sites listed, they just came up in my search.
04-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There are four ways to trigger off camera flash:

1) The k-x can be set to send an optical signal from the pop-up flash to trigger a compatible flash. (Setting 17 on the custom menu and set flash to wireless) Not sure what all flashes will work with this, my Metz 48 AF-1 does.

2) Using a wired connection, either a PC cable if your flash and camera have that connection (k-x does not) or 1/8" mono cable and compatible adapters like these: Universal Translator. There are lots of other similar adapters available.

3) An optical slave trigger like this one. This will fire the off camera flash when it sees another flash gun fire, could be triggered by the pop-up flash or an on-camera flash gun. This works but is finicky and not as reliable as wired.

4) A set of radio slaves. Search eBay for dozens of brands and models and prices. I like this one and there is a very nice review of it here on the forum. This is the method being used in the video you posted. I cannot tell what brand he is using but there are dozens out there.

I am currently using a wired solution, but plan to get the radio slaves eventually.

I have no relationship with any of the sites listed, they just came up in my search.
On 4, do you put the radio on the hot shoe of the k-x?
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
On 4, do you put the radio on the hot shoe of the k-x?
Yes, the radio goes on the camera hot shoe and the flash mounts onto the receiver.

I suggest you go to the Pentax Camera and Field Accessories - PentaxForums.com forum and do a search on radio triggers. There are several brands out there. I use PT-04's shipped from China. They work great indoors but feel a little flimsy.

?ISHOOT?PT-04 Wireless Flash Trigger?NIKON CANON PENTAX - eBay (item 270646851745 end time Apr-07-11 03:26:30 PDT)

Tim

04-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started with optical and invested some money but in a short while I discovered that unless the flash is in line of sight of your camera flash it won't work, plus I didn't like the fact of having to use a shoe mounted flash either. I invested 55 dollars plus 4 dollars shipping for this set of wireless triggers.
Phottix Tetra Wireless Flash Trigger with 2 Receivers
I admit I haven't been using it very long but it seems very reliable and good deal for the money.
I spent more money "experementing" with optical then if I would have gone straight to wireless trigger.
it took less then a week to arrive from Hong kong (first time dealing overseas)

good luck with you choices,

cheers

randy
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
After doing some reading I was thinking of the following:

Yongnuo YN-460 II
Yongnuo triggers
lightstand

I read several on here that said for a manual flash and off camera the yn-460ii was an alright flash. Especially where you can control everything, which I am thinking I can do in an outside portrait. Does this sound reasonable for outdoor portraits as a fill flash like in the video above?
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well,

When it comes to off camera triggers, unless you use the built in optical slave trigger that is in the camera and on the flash, you will always do manual anyway. No off brand camera triggers supports Pentax P-TTL (as far as I know).

So...as far as manual processes go, the Yongnuo has a pretty good guide number, for a lot cheaper than a Pentax flash, so yes, I would think getting that combo sounds like a good plan.

Your last question is a little difficult to answer. The reason is because you can get that kind of result with any flash, triggered in any way (cable, optical, radio) as long as its away from the camera. You just need to know how to use your flash well.

Also, i am not an expert here, but the way the video shows him shooting a naked flash towards the subject which then produces such a nice soft shadowed picture is a little curious. Can someone else clarify whether what this guy is doing on the video is doable the way he is doing it?
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
You last question made me think of another question. Do you think hte YN-460ii can shoot through a translucent umbrella for the softbox (instead of a real softbox)?

04-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The YN560 (ebay US$ 65) and PT-04 triggers (ebay US$ 25 for a 1 + 2 set) seem well worth their price. My impression is that the YN560 might be better built than the earlier YN460, at any rate mine seems very decent for the price, has extensive control of the output (down to 1/128 with 1/3 stop steps), tilt&swivel, zoom and pretty fast recycle time (with Eneloops at least). The PT-04 set has an El-Cheapo feel to it, but works reliably. (I might get the new Cactus triggers though if I was buying now as they would seem to be of better quality and are still inexpensive, see:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/128986-ca...ml#post1338013). (ebay prices from a far-east seller, including postage )
04-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The YN560 (ebay US$ 65) and PT-04 triggers (ebay US$ 25 for a 1 + 2 set) seem well worth their price. My impression is that the YN560 might be better built than the earlier YN460, at any rate mine seems very decent for the price, has extensive control of the output (down to 1/128 with 1/3 stop steps), tilt&swivel, zoom and pretty fast recycle time (with Eneloops at least). The PT-04 set has an El-Cheapo feel to it, but works reliably. (I might get the new Cactus triggers though if I was buying now as they would seem to be of better quality and are still inexpensive, see:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/128986-ca...ml#post1338013). (ebay prices from a far-east seller, including postage )
Thanks. I didn't know you could use the Cactus with other than pentax flashes. It's nice to have options.
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, the guide number on the Yongnuo is 52metre? So it should have no problem matching official Pentax flashes, even. Will easily shoot through an umbrella. Whatever Pentax flashes can do, these things should be able to do it...except maybe PTTL? and High speed sync.