Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 calibratiing lens

New to Pentax and never had to do this before. I have a new 35mm 2.8 macro Limited and I'm having trouble getting it to focus correctly. I have taken the same picture at all the plus and minus settings using f4 1/60th spot focus. I decided that -5 seems to be fairly sharp to my eye. Using indoors, focusing on flowers quite close/macro seems fine but when used outside to about 5-10 feet away from small apple on a tree, seems really oof. I'm finding this exhausting, I just want to use it!!!! Shall I just reset it to 0 and be done with it?

04-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Calibrate the lens outdoors, with a flat subject (e.g. brick wall), at a fair distance away but short of infinity.
An apple is a pretty small subject and low in detail for the camera to focus on. It is most likely focusing on the parts of the tree behind the apple. The focusing points are not exactly where the indicators are in the viewfinder, and they are much larger than the indicator.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-04-2011 at 09:08 AM.
04-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi,

What method of focus correction did you use?
I'm wondering if your lens correction setup was correct.

Did you use something like this:
Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Jeffrey’s Autofocus Test Chart

Or this:
http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

Or this:
PENTAX DSLRs: PART-1. Free Autofocus Adjustment charts for front and back focusing problems. Good for Pentax, Canon and Nikon.

Or something different?
Perhaps you can share some of the calibration testshots to see what happens?

- Bert
04-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Parallax, thanks. The apple was chosen as it has nothing else around it and should be easy to "see"! The camera has not focused on anything else either so it's back to the drawing board. Today it's too dull to do anything outdoors but I'll try again as soon as the decent light returns

04-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
bymy141, thanks for your suggestions. I have read a lot about calibrating charts, tripods, tape measures etc. but I was hoping to do it the less professional way! I'm only a hobbyist. Just being able to figure out whether to plus or minus would be helpful and then I can just keep trying the slow and painful way I guess
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sworks Quote
bymy141, thanks for your suggestions. I have read a lot about calibrating charts, tripods, tape measures etc. but I was hoping to do it the less professional way! I'm only a hobbyist. Just being able to figure out whether to plus or minus would be helpful and then I can just keep trying the slow and painful way I guess
No problem.
It can be very simple...
Working with your camera on a tripod and a ruler on the ground works most of the time for me.
Still could you post some example pictures with the exif data (f & a) to understand your problem better?

Cheers, Bert
04-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in your menu somewhere there is the ability to have a little red dot to light up when you are in focus. get the camera to have the ability to let you choose where the red dot will be.... then you control where the camera focuses not the other way round.
If you already know this stuff please forgive me

cheers

randy
04-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Randy, you are instantly forgiven! LOL