Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Viewing Images

Having felt disappointed with my digital photography for the last few years, I have now discovered the following:
If I put my memory card direct into the television, my photos are exactly as I would like them, sharp, clear, well exposed.
If I put the card into the DVD player and view on the same TV screen, they are no where near as good.
If I put them on my PC, they are not as good.
If I copy them onto disc and then view via DVD, they are not good.
If I put them on memory stick then onto the TV, the tv wont show them at all.

I am now at a loss as to know how to save my images and subsequently view them in the quality I would like.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! thanks,

Phil

04-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
??? I get the best view by transfering the images from my camera directly to my Mac where I sort, trash, or PP, then store on DVD's. If I'm doing a travel log I may convert them to a slideshow for viewing on a TV.
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Phil,

I would assume that you are capturing and viewing in jpg. I numbered your findings and here are my comments:
1. Good. What kind of TV do you have?
2. What kind of DVD player do you have? Have you tried a blu-ray player? How is it connected to the TV? What resolution?
3. What kind of monitor do you have? Do you modify the files?
4. This is more like (2).
5. Are the files unmodified, just like what they are in (1)? It is hard to believe that (1) works but (5) does not.

Regards,
Andy

QuoteOriginally posted by philkr Quote
Having felt disappointed with my digital photography for the last few years, I have now discovered the following:
1. If I put my memory card direct into the television, my photos are exactly as I would like them, sharp, clear, well exposed.
2. If I put the card into the DVD player and view on the same TV screen, they are no where near as good.
3. If I put them on my PC, they are not as good.
4. If I copy them onto disc and then view via DVD, they are not good.
5. If I put them on memory stick then onto the TV, the tv wont show them at all.

I am now at a loss as to know how to save my images and subsequently view them in the quality I would like.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! thanks,

Phil
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are two factors (imo) that makes the TV display nicer pictures than your pc:

I notice that my TV (LG42LD520) does quite a bit of processing on the pictures when I use the USB port to view pictures; it usually ups the brightness, saturation, contrast, and sharpness. The sharpness boost in particular is remarkable, it seems like the TV is so smart it knows just how much to apply without it looking oversharpened. It actually does the same thing with digital signal as well, as watching Planet Earth with "standard" picture enhancement is light years away from "off." Supposedly a custom enhancement setting would be best, but I haven't played with it enough to see if it would make a difference.

Also, a lot of TVs these days are IPS panels. My TV is one, and it basically just means higher quality, and will look significantly better than most Computer LCDs (mine is a 22" Acer TN panel). Supposedly IPS computer monitors such as the Dell's U2311H or Apple's cinema display would come closer to the TV quality. Remember that the TV applies enhancements by default, so to achieve the same results you probably have to photoshop it to some degree on your monitor.

For the DVD issue, my guess is that your TV doesn't enhance the pictures when fed with signals from the DVD player. If you can set up your TV to enhance the pictures from your DVD player, then the results would be similar as putting memory card direct to the TV.

By the way, how is #1 and #5 different?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 04-04-2011 at 12:37 PM.
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks everyone.
I am shooting in jpeg, and saving as jpeg onto windows xp. Files are unmodified.
My pc monitor is a Hewlett Packard flat screen lcd.
My TV is a Sony 32" Bravia , the DVD Player is also a Sony home cinema surround. Connected to the TV via optic cable (i think !).