04-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Anyone tried this yet?

mecablitz 44 AF-1 digital

Description: Metz
It looks good. B&H has it @ $199
Check out Matt's page: Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
04-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Kai

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could not wait for the release in the US so I got the older 48 instead. I am watching this thread since the 48 is pretty heavy.
04-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
I could not wait for the release in the US so I got the older 48 instead. I am watching this thread since the 48 is pretty heavy.
I'll test a unit when I get to a shop near my place, they said they're selling it now. I hope there's one on stock when I get there.

I guess it'll be a bit lighter (and cheaper) in build... well not as light as a YongNuo maybe, but a little more than that..

04-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I got mine - for my K200D - today.

I am an absolute un-experienced ignorant when it comes to modern flashes, but I do confirm that it works flawlessly as per manual in all modes (TTL, M and SL) with my K200D. It is a fairly simplistic design with certain more advanced features such as high speed sync missing.

What I did before I made my choice was to study the manual:

mecablitz: Metz

(and obviously my camera manual too). That way, I satisfied myself that I got the features that will be essential for me.

As regards quality, recharging time etc. it appears absolutely reliable - - - but do note that at this time of writing I have only been the happy owner for about 5 hours.....

B.R. / Steen G. B.
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That new Metz flash does not have HSS, and HSS is easily worth the difference in price between the 44 and the 50.
04-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That new Metz flash does not have HSS, and HSS is easily worth the difference in price between the 44 and the 50.
Agree that this will be so for quite a few - which is also why I pointed out, that this and other more advanced feaures are missing.

On the other hand if you don't need it, why pay more? (and carry more weight?). That's why I suggest a study of the complete manual,( not just the spec. sheet), before you make your decision.

B.R. / Steen G. B.
04-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Only $30 for more power and having HSS seems worth it to me... IMHO

04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
It looks good. B&H has it @ $199
Check out Matt's page: Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
What does it mean:

"it can only act as a P-TTL wireless slave, not as the on-camera controller or master"

Is that an optical master and slave?
04-10-2011, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
What does it mean:

"it can only act as a P-TTL wireless slave, not as the on-camera controller or master"

Is that an optical master and slave?
If I understand your question correctly (I am not an expert on flashes, to put it mildly), the answer is "yes": There is an infrared window on the rear of the 44 AF-1 that allows wireless (optical) communication with the on-camera master/controller - and this can be the built-in flash.

At least on my K200D the lens has have an "A" mount and to be in auto ("A") mode for wireless operation to be allowed.

But you do not need an auto-focus lens - wireless works fine with my old (Tamron) MF-lenses with KA-mounts.

B.R. / Steen G. B.