Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

AE-L and defaults

Coming from a point and shoot and upgrading to a K5, just recently, I used this forum to get a couple of questions answered and was very happy with the quick and very helpful responses I received. However, I promised I'd probably be back to seek advice from the wise members again and here I am.
I just love the k5, but the user manual, not so much. The manual certainly explains how to set up the optional settings, but it falls short on explaining the why of it.
After only 2 weeks with the camera I have changed some default settings but do not want to get locked into usage that will limit my experiences and growth as a photographer with this great camera. So any criticisms or advice will be welcomed.
So far, I mainly use S-AF and have disabled AF with the shutter button and focus strictly with the AF button on the back. I then use the lenses quick shift function to fine tune focus if I'm not completely happy with what AF has produced. I usually use centre mode for the focus point. I enjoy bird photography so I frequently focus on the target and then recompose for a better composition.
Now here are my questions.
1- (Default camera setting)-Exposure is not locked when the focus is locked. Does it make sense to enable this function? -(Lock the exposure when the focus is locked.

2- What are the advantages/disadvantages of either choice and will these advantages/disadvantages change if the camera is used in C-AF mode rather than S-AF?

3- Should I just leave the default as is and use the AE-L button instead?

Thanks
Jake

04-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most choices depend on the situation and your preference but whats most important is to understand how all the options impact the results. I too found the manual very lacking and purchased an ebook (PDF format) from Yvon Bourque for $15 that filled in a lot of gaps for me:
Pentax e-books

There are probably other books, maybe better, but this one was enough to allow me to configure the camera and get outdoors. I think there is a free sample of the first couple chapters online but its all just intro stuff.

As far as your specific questions and how I use those functions, locking exposure with focus is only an occasional thing such as when using spot focus for a large white Egret against a dark background, then recomposing while holding 1/2 pressed shutter. I guess if I was shooting a black cat in the snow I might again lock exposure with focus. Other than that, never.

I will just skip the 2nd question and go right for the 3rd; yes, use the AE-L button unless you plan to be shooting a whole session with spot focus or some situation where locking makes sense. I shoot only wildlife and have developed my own style and am sure many members do it very different so understand how the camera functions impact your shot so you can decide what works best for you.
04-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
OK5

Original Poster
Lee, thank you very much for your insights. I find the examples of how you use the AE-L button quite helpful.
With some trial and error and then reshooting the same scene/object a different way, things are finally starting to fall in place.

Much appreciated
Jake
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use AE-L to lock exposure all the time when shooting star bursts. I first point the camera away from the sun at the sky and lock exposure, then point it towards the sun and take the pic. If I didn't lock exposure it would be way under exposed.

04-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
OK5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I use AE-L to lock exposure all the time when shooting star bursts. I first point the camera away from the sun at the sky and lock exposure, then point it towards the sun and take the pic. If I didn't lock exposure it would be way under exposed.
Thank you twitch for the tip. I've always liked the star burst affect.
After reading your reply, I did a little research on star burst photography and understanding
what creates the star bursts has actually created another question for me.
Is it safe to assume that if the camera was in Av mode that the starburst affect might not happen if you used AE-L and were set to a large aperture to begin with?

Jake