Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Exposure bracketing with the K-x

I decided to try exposure bracketing to do HDR with RAW files as opposed to the in-camera HDR processing with my K-x. When I go in JPG+RAW shooting mode with exposure bracketing it takes the first two shots almost immediately and then there is a delay of 2-4 seconds before the 3rd shot is taken. If I go in JPG alone mode, the three shots happen quickly. So apparently the delay is getting the image data stored on the memory card. I am using SanDisk Ultra Class 4 15 MB/second cards with capacities of 4 and 8 GB. Would going to a higher speed SD card reduce the delay or is the delay occuring in the camera so that card speed doesn't matter?

Secondly, it appears that I have to hold the shutter down while the exposure bracketing function takes all 3 pictures. That implies there is no way to use the 2 second delay shutter when doing bracketing. So for my HDR purposes is the best available solution to use a tripod with SR off and just press and hold the button? It seems like there should be a better solution since alignment is so critical for HDR.

Thanks for any help!

04-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ptx101 Quote
I decided to try exposure bracketing to do HDR with RAW files as opposed to the in-camera HDR processing with my K-x. When I go in JPG+RAW shooting mode with exposure bracketing it takes the first two shots almost immediately and then there is a delay of 2-4 seconds before the 3rd shot is taken. If I go in JPG alone mode, the three shots happen quickly. So apparently the delay is getting the image data stored on the memory card. I am using SanDisk Ultra Class 4 15 MB/second cards with capacities of 4 and 8 GB. Would going to a higher speed SD card reduce the delay or is the delay occuring in the camera so that card speed doesn't matter?
Do you have lens correction turned on? That can cause a delay when taking multiple pictures. It is unlikely that it has anything to do with the SD card.

QuoteQuote:
Secondly, it appears that I have to hold the shutter down while the exposure bracketing function takes all 3 pictures. That implies there is no way to use the 2 second delay shutter when doing bracketing. So for my HDR purposes is the best available solution to use a tripod with SR off and just press and hold the button? It seems like there should be a better solution since alignment is so critical for HDR.
Due to firmware limitations there is no way to use 2 second delay or any of the other drive modes when using exposure bracketing. Pentax fixed this in the K-r. Why they can't provide a firmware update for K-x users is one of the great mysteries. The only solution is to use HDR software that has good alignment correction.
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ptx101 Quote

Thanks for any help!
I do a lot of HDR shots, and this limitation is one of the key, if not the key reason why I will be upgrading to a K-5/7. Those bodies allow cable tripping of auto exposures (and can do 5 shot brackets too).

On the K-x if the exposures are short, I tend to push gently on the shutter and set the drive mode to auto bracket. If longer then I have it on 2 sec delay and manually bracket the exposures, which is very tedious.
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax fixed this in the K-r.
Wow, didn't know this, how was it addressed?

04-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Wow, didn't know this, how was it addressed?
I thought that they had fixed it, but maybe I was just thinking about interval shooting.
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I do a lot of HDR shots, and this limitation is one of the key, if not the key reason why I will be upgrading to a K-5/7. Those bodies allow cable tripping of auto exposures (and can do 5 shot brackets too).

On the K-x if the exposures are short, I tend to push gently on the shutter and set the drive mode to auto bracket. If longer then I have it on 2 sec delay and manually bracket the exposures, which is very tedious.

ERrr, yes, I am bummed about not having cabled shutter release capabilities in the K-x as well! If I want to use a remote release to capture a landscape (in single or multiple exposures), I certainly don't want to have to stand in front of the camera
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
boriscleto was right on about the lens correction. I tried it with the lens corrections turned off and the shutter clicked all three images quite quickly with no delay. Thanks folks for your help.