Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How to remove old fingerprint(s) off lens coating

Hi,

I have an old Takumar that has a fingerprint (not mine) stained into the front lens coating. Any safe way to remove it without damaging the coating even more?

Thanks,

Edd

04-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take some lens tissue and lens cleaning solution and just wipe it off

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Adam!

ROR was the product I thought I had heard about...thanks for the link also...

Edd
04-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lens cloth and your breath might work also (if you don't have the solution).

04-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may not be possible

aside from oils there is acid in your fingerprints, that over time can etch the coatings. I have a pair of glasses that I have not worn for 6 months that got put away with a smudged finger print on them, and this has damaged the coating.

Tehy were nikon lenses but I think coatings are about equal
04-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lowell,

That's what has happened....the prints have been on the glass/coating surface for more than 20 years. Looks like an etch-job. I think that it is more visually disturbing than image affecting, not like an oil-wipe, if you know what I mean. I tried the ROR last night, and it cleaned up everything around the fingerprint, but not the fingerprint.

Thanks to everyone for the input on this...

Edd
04-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #7

Although advice about not cleaning lens surfaces too frequently might be well meant and even correct, the lesson drawn from the above is that fingerprints should not be left alone for too long, lest they etch the coatings.
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi, I've just mistakenly left a sign with a black marker on the front element of my lens (the irony is that I had just read this topic). It won't wipe off with a regular cloth and water, what should I do? I have done my best to capture it in the photos, but it's peripheral and very hard to see even by naked eye.

Attached Images

04-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Problem solved. I managed to rub it away with some LCD cleaning tissues.