Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

k5 sensor tilt?

Hi guys,

i just found the sensor of my K5 tilted a little bit when i tried to clean it. i just repeated the "mirror up " for several times. you know what? the sensor returned back suprisingly!!! do you guys have any idea about it? is this a quality problem?

many thanks

Lei

Attached Images

04-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as the pictures are straight, I wouldn't worry about it. It's entirely possible that the angulation sensor isn't active during the cleaning routine.
04-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As long as the pictures are straight, I wouldn't worry about it. It's entirely possible that the angulation sensor isn't active during the cleaning routine.
This sounds quite likely. The sensor is probably locked in place so it doesn't move around when you're cleaning it. Try taking a few test shots to confirm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've not seen this before, but I've seen a slightly off series of test shots I took with the focus test chart, having the centre and right of the field in sharp focus, but the left sharp at 2-3mm above where the sharpness should be (having ensured a flat surface at the same angle horizontally across the field). I'm not seeing any real world effect of this phenomenon and will probably try this again later to see if there's been any change, but I too would suggest a more formal test to see if your images are indeed straight.

04-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I noticed heavily left-tilted horizon on my K-5 (see my test pictures I took for service in album "Huolto" under my profile). It happened occasionally and only in horizontal position. No problems when camera was at right angles or upside down. Latest firmware, all composition adjustment reseted etc.

My K-5 came back from service with a short note "sensor adjusted". Now the horizon seems to stay level (sometimes I imagine a slight tilt to right but hopefully it is just a user error).

I'm quite dissatisfied with the K-5 quality control. Never had any problems with older K200D, but my K-5 has been replaced for sensor stains, repaired for sensor tilt and lost electronic contacts on Sigma 10-20, all within a month or so. My latest grief has been with manual lenses on K-5 giving softer images than on K200D (maybe because of more megapixels on sensor, but I'm testing still...)
Too bad when one loses faith with his equipment.

Sami
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lockheed Quote
I noticed heavily left-tilted horizon on my K-5 (see my test pictures I took for service in album "Huolto" under my profile). It happened occasionally and only in horizontal position. No problems when camera was at right angles or upside down. Latest firmware, all composition adjustment reseted etc.

My K-5 came back from service with a short note "sensor adjusted". Now the horizon seems to stay level (sometimes I imagine a slight tilt to right but hopefully it is just a user error).

I'm quite dissatisfied with the K-5 quality control. Never had any problems with older K200D, but my K-5 has been replaced for sensor stains, repaired for sensor tilt and lost electronic contacts on Sigma 10-20, all within a month or so. My latest grief has been with manual lenses on K-5 giving softer images than on K200D (maybe because of more megapixels on sensor, but I'm testing still...)
Too bad when one loses faith with his equipment.

Sami
i just tested it. i think this "tilt" did not affect the straight of the pics. by the way, no matter how i tilted the camera befor i "mirro up", the tilted sensor cannot be repeated. it is really intriguing.
04-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I understand that the sensor floats in a magnetic field, when the shake reduction is activated. This is how the camera controls the correction. Possibly turning the camera off with SR activated could account for the sensor returning to rest out of alignment. Also it is possible to adjust the sensor displacement for macro work, are you sure this was not activated?

I had a problem with my K-7, where the image was sloping when the camera was set level. Everything looked OK in the viewfinder, but not on the image. I returned it to Pentax and it came back with a note saying 'nothing wrong with the camera, sensor realigned'. Since then it has been OK.

It seems to me that the quality control during assembly leaves something to be desired. My K-5 is not correctly set up either, as the 'level horizon' display is out of alignment with the viewfinder, making it useless. See my post in the 'Technical' section.

Last edited by Monobod; 04-11-2011 at 02:18 AM.