Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
self timer vs wireless remote?

Being a beginner, I'm still learning the basics of using my new K-r. I read on Pentax's facebook page about using the self-timer at 2 seconds to invoke mirror lockup. They say this makes for even sharper photos when using a tripod because it limits shake and blur that might be caused by the mirror motion.

I have a wireless remote which I have been using with my tripod. My question is would I get better results using the self timer rather than the remote? Can mirror lockup work with the wireless remote as well?

I thought I was using the best approach with the remote since you don't have to touch the camera at all, but now I'm a bit confused. I'd really appreciate any advice!

Thanks much!

04-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If the K-r is like the K-7 one of the options is to use the remote with a 3-second delay, which gives all the advantages of the shutter delay.
04-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
OK5

The k-5 definitely has mirror lock up with remote control but I am not sure about the k-r as I am also a beginner and this is my first Pentax dslr. First slr actually.

Jake
04-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes you can use mirror lockup with 2 second delay or wireless release.

But I really don't think there will be much difference in outcome unless its a long exposure and you moving right next to the tripod is likely to cause vibration, eg timber floors. even then it wouldn't be very noticeable 95% of the time.
But If that was the case wireless is the way to go as you can keep well away from your setup.

I also suggest turning Shake Reduction(SR) OFF as it can introduce blur whilst on a tripod.

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 04-06-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: miss read question.
04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I also suggest turning Shake Reduction(SR) OFF as it can introduce blur whilst on a tripod.
Although if using the timer the SR should disable automatically...
04-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another thing to add.
If using the remote, cover the viewfinder while metering at it will let stray light in and may affect the exposure settings.

Normally you cover the viewfinder with your face so it blocks the light out.

If you have the camera in any of the semi-auto modes (Auto, P, Av, Tv etc) and you activate metering/focus/shutter remotely then it might read incorrecly.
Manual metering settings wont be affected obviously.

In live-view it doesnt matter as the mirror is already up.

I dont think there is a mirror lock up on the K-r or K-x (K-5 & K-7 have it). It is in the "drive mode" menu with continous shooting, timer shooting etc.
04-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! So, it sounds like I can still get mirror lockup with the remote if I use the delay? I also never thought about using LiveView. That's a good idea as well. I may just try some test shots and see if I can see a difference.

And the viewfinder light tip is really useful. I hadn't thought about light getting in there!

Really appreciate all the info!

04-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just as a follow-up, I did some testing this evening. I took some photos of stuff in a kitchen cabinet (like ketchup, baking powder, spices, etc.) so I could get a good idea of sharpness.

There is no question there was a noticeable difference in sharpness when I used the mirror lockup function. There didn't seem to be any difference between mirror lockup with the wireless remote vs the self-timer. But if I didn't use mirror lockup at all, the pictures simply weren't as sharp.

I was using a tripod and all other settings were exactly the same. I'm sure this isn't news to most of you, but it's always interesting and fun to test these things out for yourself and see different techniques in action.

Thanks again for the advice given in this thread!
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did some testing with planes landing at night. They don't have to be close. The lights should make an even trace across the frame. I can see the difference between mirror lockup and not, a cheap tripod and a good one, how much my deck moves, etc.