Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

K1000: Problem with film advance

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems with a Pentax K1000 I bought on eBay and wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

After around 16 exposures, the film advance on the camera stops working. When you push the lever across, it feels 'unsmooth'. When the film is developed, the remaining images are on top of one another.

I left it at a repair shop but they quoted me over 100 Euros to fix it, which I did not proceed with. I'm waiting for them to confirm what the diagnosis was.

Has anyone had an similar experiences and knows of a cheaper fix? Or is it a case of paying for a repair or a new camera?

Thanks.

04-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the film was sticking in the canister. Does it feel "unsmooth" with no film loaded? If so. a repair is probably needed, if not, try a new roll of film from a different seller.
04-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a couple of films on mine that came out of the film "rails" as it slides behind the shutter and the film stuck on one of the corners, and as I pulled the lever (rather forcefully) the film ripped. Only happened twice.
04-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks - so you didn't do a fix, it just stopped happening?

04-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just figured I didn't put the film canister on correctly, as in it didn't seat all the way down. I guess I figured right in my case. It hasn't happened to me anymore.
04-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks - I tried again and managed two whole films through it yesterday which, hopefully, will come out ok.
04-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by summernolan Quote
Thanks - I tried again and managed two whole films through it yesterday which, hopefully, will come out ok.
When you load your film, try to keep it as flat / tight as possible against the film rails, and be sure sprockets in front of the take - up spool are engaging the holes in the film before you close the cover. That should eliminate the slippage.

I'd also avoid that repair shop if I were you, sounds like they were ready to charge you for work that you didn't need, and likely wouldn't have been done.
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I'm very glad I didn't pay for that repair!