Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Things that make me go "Huh?"

I have a K-x, on my kit 18-55 I have noticed a black smudge/spot/something not there before when looking thru the viewfinder. The spot is not there with any of my other lenses and not on any of the pictures. What is this anybody know? Do I need to learn to ignore it or is there a way to get rid of the black mark? I assume it's in the lens since I don't see it with any of the others attached to my body.

04-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd check first to make sure it's not dust on your sensor, which is a pretty common occurrence. Sometimes the spots only show up with a certain lens because of what you are shooting. For example, it may show up on your 18-55 because your doing wide angle shots with a lot of sky, and dust spots show up well with a bright sky with little clouds, as opposed to shooting a telephoto and not having that consistent blue sky.

Starting on page 285 in the K-x manual it shows how to detect and remove dust from the sensor. I reference the book because it will explain it a lot better than I would. If there is dust on the sensor and the sensor shake does not remove it, try using a rocket blower. That will do the trick and it shows in the book how to do it. Here's a link to a blower that I use and am happy with.
Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large (Black): Camera & Photo

If that doesn't fix the problem, can you see any dust spots or smudges on the front or back of the lens? There are things you can use to clean the lens as well, but maybe start with the sensor and go from there.
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a lens cleaning kit? Sounds like you have need of it. If you do, use it. If not, get one and use it.

Dust and dirt happens on the glass, mirror and view finder planes. If after a good cleaning the spot is still there, I think it would be in the lens at that point which is a very different problem.

Hopefully that will resolve this.
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueBubbleBoy Quote
I'd check first to make sure it's not dust on your sensor, which is a pretty common occurrence. Sometimes the spots only show up with a certain lens because of what you are shooting. For example, it may show up on your 18-55 because your doing wide angle shots with a lot of sky, and dust spots show up well with a bright sky with little clouds, as opposed to shooting a telephoto and not having that consistent blue sky.

Starting on page 285 in the K-x manual it shows how to detect and remove dust from the sensor. I reference the book because it will explain it a lot better than I would. If there is dust on the sensor and the sensor shake does not remove it, try using a rocket blower. That will do the trick and it shows in the book how to do it. Here's a link to a blower that I use and am happy with.
Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large (Black): Camera & Photo

If that doesn't fix the problem, can you see any dust spots or smudges on the front or back of the lens? There are things you can use to clean the lens as well, but maybe start with the sensor and go from there.
It is always a good idea to pay attention to the cleanliness of the sensor, but since the OP says he sees the smudge through the viewfinder and not in the photos, it can't be the sensor.

04-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Any spots you see in the viewfinder are on the focusing screen.
Sorry, but if you see a spot in the viewfinder with one lens mounted, it will also be there with any other lens (or even no lens) mounted.
04-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is always a good idea to pay attention to the cleanliness of the sensor, but since the OP says he sees the smudge through the viewfinder and not in the photos, it can't be the sensor.
Perhaps I misunderstood then. I read it as if she was not seeing them in the viewfinder. At any rate, keeping the sensor clean is always a good idea!
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It should be emphasized that the focusing screen is easily damaged by cleaning techniques that are harmless for other surfaces. If you think it's dust on the focusing screen, try using a blower. Then try ignoring it. Definitely don't use any chemicals or touch the screen with anything except a soft cloth.
04-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
The only time I see the spot is while looking thru the view finder with just that one lens attached. Nothing is showing up in pictures or with any other lens attached or when I review the pictures on the screen. The first this I tried was cleaning the lens itself and then ran the sensor shake on the camera. It sounds like I may just have to ignore it, especially since that's not my favorite lens to use anyway. I am going to take it in this weekend to a local shop and see if there is anything they can do. Thanks Y'all!

04-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I had this same issue to a degree:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/110898-hair-viewfinder.html

The general consensus is if it does not affect the picture dont worry about it.

However within the last few days I took a small "blower" to my camera and it cleared up some stuff to include moving the hair a little......

Im going to be wet washing my sensor here once the items arrive. I figure once a year at the least for a cleaning if not more as needed, prior to that I will give it a good blowing.
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rachcobb Quote
The only time I see the spot is while looking thru the view finder with just that one lens attached. Nothing is showing up in pictures or with any other lens attached or when I review the pictures on the screen. The first this I tried was cleaning the lens itself and then ran the sensor shake on the camera. It sounds like I may just have to ignore it, especially since that's not my favorite lens to use anyway. I am going to take it in this weekend to a local shop and see if there is anything they can do. Thanks Y'all!
What do you see when you look through the lens with it off of the camera? I would be quite surprised if you could see dust in the lens, through the viewfinder. Is the spot defined or is it blurry?

04-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
What do you see when you look through the lens with it off of the camera? I would be quite surprised if you could see dust in the lens, through the viewfinder. Is the spot defined or is it blurry?

I haven't looked thru just the lens, maybe I should try that....

The spot is very defined but solid black.