Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Battery issues

Hey, ive got a Kx and the batteries im using it seem to be terrible and run out after virtually no use.
Is it Becuase they are not ' camera batterys '?
They are just plain ever-ready rechargeable.
I might get a few photos out of them. Then ill turn the camera off.
Go to turn it back on ill hear the dust shudder shake, then its just blank..

so.. do i need new batteries?

ideas please!

04-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peeters Quote
Hey, ive got a Kx and the batteries im using it seem to be terrible and run out after virtually no use.
Is it Becuase they are not ' camera batterys '?
They are just plain ever-ready rechargeable.
I might get a few photos out of them. Then ill turn the camera off.
Go to turn it back on ill hear the dust shudder shake, then its just blank..

so.. do i need new batteries?

ideas please!
Yes, you do need new set of batteries. Regular rechargeable are more suited for point and shoots not dSLR

Buy a set of Eneloop and a good charger. What firmware do you have on your K-x? If you have ver 1.0, you'd need to upgrade it to 1.02 or 1.03.
04-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like K57XR said you need to update the firmware (if you haven't already). The old firmware will show low or even dead batteries when in fact the batteries still have some to a lot of juice left. I had that same problem and it completely went away with the firmware update. Also getting a better set of rechargeable is needed regardless of the firmware. Kx's are battery hungry and a good set of low discharge (Eneloops) batteries will do wonders for your shooting life.
04-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Eneloop are available at Costco or Costco web site if you are in Amerira

04-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Eneloop's are also widely available on ebay
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Like K57XR said you need to update the firmware (if you haven't already). The old firmware will show low or even dead batteries when in fact the batteries still have some to a lot of juice left. I had that same problem and it completely went away with the firmware update. Also getting a better set of rechargeable is needed regardless of the firmware. Kx's are battery hungry and a good set of low discharge (Eneloops) batteries will do wonders for your shooting life.
On the other side of that double edged sword, you Also want to make sure you have a strong set of batteries in before doing any firmware updates. Reports are (anecdotal only on my part), Lithium batteries are the best out of package batteries for these cameras. If the camera shuts down during the firmware update, you have a pretty paperweight. It isn't anything to fear doing, just make sure your camera isn't going to shut off during the update. It doesn't sound as if your current batteries are up to the task (is all I'm saying).