Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone bother to seal Ricoh pin holes?

Probably a dumb question as I wouldn't see the hole as a major contributor of dust in a lens, but you never know. Does anyone seal the holes with something? Maybe a silicone or thin tape, something that can be easily peeled back if the lens needs to be disassembled at some point in the future. Thanks for the input.

04-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ratm4484 Quote
Maybe a silicone or thin tape, something that can be easily peeled back if the lens needs to be disassembled at some point in the future.
If "something" is easy to remove, it's easy to fall off on its own.

I don't want to wonder where the h*** the piece of tape is, maybe in the camera, waiting to stick to the sensor

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-07-2011 at 07:38 PM.
04-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lenses have holes in them. A PK mount lens with an aperture flag has at least 1 big slot in the base. Such openings are *much* larger than the pinhole of a removed Ricoh pin. So don't sweat it. If you *must* sweat it, use a dust blower on it occasionally. You'll help keep the dust blower industry afloat that way.
04-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I figured since there were already existing gaps to begin with there was no need to do this. I also thought that whatever sealer you use could possibly break free and end up in the camera somewhere. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

04-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
even the best WR lenses have gaps that allow air in, they'd be a bugger to focus if they were airtight given they expand and contract during focusing
04-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Lenses have holes in them. A PK mount lens with an aperture flag has at least 1 big slot in the base. Such openings are *much* larger than the pinhole of a removed Ricoh pin. So don't sweat it. If you *must* sweat it, use a dust blower on it occasionally. You'll help keep the dust blower industry afloat that way.
I would say one HUGE opening in the base! The whole back of the lens is open to the world when unmounted. The optical elements itself is relatively well-sealed, but as many of us know, dust will find a way.

To the OP...Don't let the hole bother you. Go forth and take pictures and enjoy!

Steve
04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Some of those Ricoh lenses should be filled in with a few pounds of cement.

Kidding. I kid.