Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this degree of flare (FA43) normal?

Hey all, so I was out with my FA43 today when I took this shot...

SOOC, f7.1, 1/50th, ISO100, shot through some (grimy but not extremely dirty) window...I've had some pretty flare-free shots, but I'm slightly paranoid that my cleaning of the lens (also fueled by paranoia >.>) might have damaged a coating (I realize this isn't too likely but just in case...).

Cleaning consisted of breathing on it then wiping with a lens cloth (a high quality (or so my dad tells me, who bought it) nikon one). Mostly to get rid of dust and what not. The front element has once been rained on, a few droplets which were quickly wiped off, also with that cloth.

I took another shot later, straight into the sun with nothing between it and the lens, and while the flare wasn't quite as atrocious (oh yeah and they were f11) (about 25% of the surface area or so that this flare takes up), it was still pretty heavy, I'd say.

It's probably normal, but the FA43 has a reputation for flare-free-ness, and I was just worried that I've screwed up mine somewhat. Any input would be great, thanks all!

04-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're shooting straight into the sun, then yes

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, that's not too unusual. Don't forget that the bus window is effectively part of the optical system in this case, and I guarantee that it doesn't have good anti reflective coatings.
Most people are too fastidious with their equipment, and clean their lenses far too often. Eventually, the lens coatings will get damaged.

I don't recall when I last cleaned a lens, it's something that I only do if I fingerprint the lens or if my dog sticks his nose onto it or some such. A dusty lens is a happy lens.
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Wheatfield on the effect of the window on resultant flare.
Try shooting into the sun without any other transparent medium between the sun and the lens and see the kind of flare you produce - you will, of course, produce a significant amount, but it won't be as wild as your above example.

04-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the comments, very reassuring appreciate it!