Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing problem: K10D, screen, lens or me?

Hi. As you can see, focusing is all over the place here. I was using a K10D with Pentax M 50mm f1.7(wide open or f2.8) and a Katzeye screen.

Why is the focusing all over the place? It looked fine each time each time through the viewfinder - I was focusing on the flower bottom left. The second shot, I'm wondering if it's shake from the SR, it looks more shakey than out of focus. I am wondering if 100 for a Katzeye was a waste of money...

Last edited by jeztastic; 04-08-2011 at 08:43 AM.
04-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Can't see the images...
04-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Can't see the images...
Oops... Think they are too big... Hang on.
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

took a quick look on flickr, first thing i'd say if SR is your concern there is no need at the speeds you shot just turn it off
Focus in 8606 appears to be on the back flower or the bud not the front left, the other 2 are both soft (guessing wide open)
Focus on 8611 appears to be the right flower
Focus on 8607 appears to be the right as well (oops they all disappeared) they weren't too large you need to post with bbcodes at whatever size you want for here (I'd suggest a medium large as it lets us link back for larger)

nailing focus with the razor thin DOF of the 1.7 lenses takes a lot of practice, i would be inclined to say try a stationary object for some practice (sometimes you need to shim focusing screens and a static object or a focus chart will let you test it. Flowers have an annoying tendency to move due to the breeze

Did the screen you got have a split image or prism collar? or just matte optibrite?

04-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
took a quick look on flickr, first thing i'd say if SR is your concern there is no need at the speeds you shot just turn it off
Focus in 8606 appears to be on the back flower or the bud not the front left, the other 2 are both soft (guessing wide open)
Focus on 8611 appears to be the right flower
Focus on 8607 appears to be the right as well (oops they all disappeared) they weren't too large you need to post with bbcodes at whatever size you want for here (I'd suggest a medium large as it lets us link back for larger)

nailing focus with the razor thin DOF of the 1.7 lenses takes a lot of practice, i would be inclined to say try a stationary object for some practice (sometimes you need to shim focusing screens and a static object or a focus chart will let you test it. Flowers have an annoying tendency to move due to the breeze

Did the screen you got have a split image or prism collar? or just matte optibrite?
I sorted the images...

There was no breeze... Yes, I need to try a test chart... I really dread having to shim the screen...
04-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My screen i got away without the shim, but i haven't tested it too closely either
it really doesn't look that hard to shim though. Don't know about the Katzeye kits but my kit came with good tools and a shim included
just about having a steady hand i think

but the true test is a chart, or more controlled subject. at these DOF it doesn't take much breeze (or movement on your part) to lose the correct focus particularly on very close focus subjects like flowers . at 1 foot a 50 1.7 has about an inch of in focus, at 2 feet it has about 3 and a half inches. that's a really thin focal zone.

if i shoot my dog from 3 feet and focus on an eye it doesn't take much for focus to switch to his nose lol
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi Jez,

First of all, You need to specify a few things, I think.

1. Is the Katzeye a new addition, and this has just started happening since the change? Did this happen with the OEM focusing screen?

2. Are you using the split screen to focus, then recompose, or focusing using the matte area to the left of the split screen/mocroprism collar and visually confirming focus. Are you using the AF sensor to confirm focus at all?

3. Are these shot from a tripod?

I think getting the answer to your problem might be easier to diagnose with this information, and just a guess without it.

Scott