Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #1

Pentax K100D Super with Sigma 28-200mm lens - Not working?

Hi, I just received my Sigma lens through the post today, which I got on ebay.

Its a Sigma 28-200mm lens, which was advertised as compatable with all Pentax film and digital cams with K/KA mounts, including my K100D. I put it on my camera, and it just comes up with a flashing Av bit on the top, and won't let me take any photos or adjust any of the values - It just flashes the Av- - symbol at me, mocking me

Its just so annoying considering it'll take photos without a lens attached or with my 18-55, but, with my 28-200 sigma, it doesn't do anything at all.

I noticed this... The connectors on my camera are like this...

But, the connectors on the lens are like this...

Although, I then noticed the ones on the 18-55 are even more different...

Any idea how to sort this? I don't really wanna send it back, as if it works, that lens will do everything I wanted.

Cheers,

Jamie

04-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm no expert, but I'd try cleaning the contacts on the lens and the camera with a bit of naptha (lighter fluid) or alcohol. (I think these would be safe to use, anyone feel free to correct me.) It seems the lens isn't communicating with the body, that's why I suspect the contacts may be dirty. Also, if the lens has an aperture ring, make sure it's set to the 'A' position. Good luck.

Last edited by paulh; 04-08-2011 at 07:56 AM.
04-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
What does setting it to the A position on the aperture ring do? After some more searching of my problem, I found an answer on this forum - Turns out I had to enable aperture rings, or something - Which I did, and it is now working! So, that's something!

Sorry I didn't search harder initially, and thanks for the answer!

Took this from a faaaiiiir way away, zoomed in about 180mm

So, I'm happy! Finally got a new lens.
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JSM Graphics Quote
What does setting it to the A position on the aperture ring do? After some more searching of my problem, I found an answer on this forum - Turns out I had to enable aperture rings, or something - Which I did, and it is now working! So, that's something!

Sorry I didn't search harder initially, and thanks for the answer!

Took this from a faaaiiiir way away, zoomed in about 180mm

So, I'm happy! Finally got a new lens.
Setting the lens aperture ring to 'A' allows the lens to communicate with the body - so you can set the aperture using the command wheels on your camera. On older manual lenses you would set aperture using the ring on the lens itself. Some newer lenses like your Sigma allow this also. Glad to hear you're up & running