Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the sound of it, it could quite possibly be fungus and haze. Fungus sometimes can look like scratches. Have a professional clean it if the price is right, or just chalk it up as a loss. Bummer. I have this lens and it is a very sharp lens.

04-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I will return to the store on Friday. Depending on the result of my bargaining, I may ask the store to clean it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Or maybe change it to this lens even though I have SMC Pentax FA 28-80. He has plenty of this lens. I know it has a very bad review. This maybe better than FA 28-80.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
Banned

The F 35-70mm macro is an excellent lens, but it's also plentiful. It was the kit lens on a couple of high end Pentax film AF cameras, so you can find it pretty much everywhere for a decent price. I'd recommend returning the one you got for a refund, and finding another one to buy.

The 35-80mm is a BAD lens, and a BAD choice.

07-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, the SMC-F 35-70 is actually pretty easy to disassemble and clean yourself - especially the front half. The front element rotates out usually just with finger pressure, fingernails in the dentents. Clean the inside of the front element, and put it aside. The internal element you'll need a pair of snap-ring pliers, or needlenose that open wide and have sharpened tips. Rotate that part out, and clean the backside of it, as well as the front side of the element that was behind it. Reassemble, cleaning the front surfaces as you go. That's the easy part.

The back is a little more difficult, but not terribly so. Unscrew all the screws to start with. Now look at the contacts. You'll see in the center, there's a circle with white plastic underneath it. Gently push on that circle with a pen while you wiggle the bayonet free. That white plastic holds all of the contacts, the goal is to separate the lens without the contacts flying everywhere, and without losing any of the little springs. It's not hard to put all that back with tweezers, it's just time consuming and tedious. (especially the searching on the floor for one blasted missing spring part). There should be a spring under each contact, as well as a gold spring that makes contact between the bayonet and a recessed pad. (probably a ground connection).

Now, turn the bayonet upside down and clean the inside of that element. Look inside the lens, and carefully clean the back of the element you see in there. Carefully so you don't dislodge or disturb the contacts. Be very careful when you reassemble everything, that one gold spring likes to sproing out of there, never to be found again. As you're putting the bayonet on, wiggle the levers and push gently to center it. If the levers lock in place you've not got it right yet, and the bayonet won't be lined up correctly unless you physically force it (breaking stuff in the process). Be gentle, it'll all go together, trust me.

Now with the bayonet back on, rotate it slightly left and right to make sure the screw holes line up. You must make sure the bayonet is precisely centered over the screw holes. If it's not, the A setting on the aperture ring might get a little dodgy. Mine did. Loosening the screws and rotating the bayonet ever so slightly fixed that problem though.

I paid $17 for my lens, because it was full of fungus. It's sharp and clear now!

Charles.
05-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #21

I have the same lens

Everything is fine except the front elemet. is a little dirty. Can't figure out how to open it from the front and don't want to force it.

Please any advice?
05-31-2014, 04:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

You need to use a spanner ... Something like this..... Pro Spanner Wrench for Camera Lens Repair Opening Open Tool Stainless Steel | eBay
05-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You need to use a spanner ... Something like this..... Pro Spanner Wrench for Camera Lens Repair Opening Open Tool Stainless Steel | eBay

Thanks for the reply. I just east sure from where exactly it would open. Now I know. !!