Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1000 split-screen for DS2?

Hello everyone,

I read (some place?), that the K-1000 focusing screen has aprx. the same size
and thickness as the one in the DS2 (LL60). Since I just bought a DS2 and will be
using my old M and A lenses on it, I guess changing the screen will aid me well
in manual focusing. So stripping a broken K-1000 of one seems like an option, but
not if it has to be altered to fit, since I know how sensitive these little things are.
So, is it worth while? Or should I just, get one from Cats-eye etc?

Regards Jakob

04-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The thickness may be the same but the area is different, in other words the width and/or length is greater in the K1000 screen. Plus, the majority of the K1000 bodies came with a screen other than split prism.
04-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried using your M & A lenses with the stock DS2 screen yet? I'm using the stock screen on my *istD, which I believe is the same screen on the DS2. It's fantastic for manual focusing - big and bright. I would give it a try before installing another screen.
04-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Have you tried using your M & A lenses with the stock DS2 screen yet? I'm using the stock screen on my *istD, which I believe is the same screen on the DS2. It's fantastic for manual focusing - big and bright. I would give it a try before installing another screen.
I find the *istD good for manual focusing as well compared to the stock K20d and K200d screens. The *istD has the same size screen as the K10d and K20d.

04-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I guess you guys are right, and no, I havenīt tried it yet out yet since it sits in transit,
Im getting it some time next week. Probably just my minds restless bugling with issues like past-
forty-eye-crotch-worries or something. Iīll be patient and see (..but that +1.5 IS getting limited)
04-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides being too big, it's hard to get the focusing screen out of a lot of the Pentax film cameras. A few like the MX had interchangeable screens so they're easy.
04-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is that so, I only ever did it on my Nikons and on them itīs easy piecy. Iīve been
using my LX the last seven years and never thought about changing the screen.

04-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jt_cph_dk Quote
Is that so, I only ever did it on my Nikons and on them itīs easy piecy. Iīve been
using my LX the last seven years and never thought about changing the screen.
Some Pentax film camera had user interchangeable screens, for example the LX and MX. Others had to have the optional screens pre-ordered or changed by a repair person. Not all Nikon film bodies had user interchangeable screens either. It depended on the model.
04-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thankīs you all for the interesting answers and good advice, Jakob