Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need Help...Problem with the Metz 48 and K-5

I used the k-5 with the Metz 48-af1. And got lots of problem(Which i read its manual but still don't get it...) Ok! here are my questions.

1. When you turn on the SL <slave> mode, it can be change to another mode which the "M" symbol appear with the "SL" symbol. Here the question is what is this mode do? is it also a slave mode with the manual light power control ?

2. Can the Metz 48 af-1 used as a master flash to control other slave ? if not, please advice the flash that can be used as a MASTER.

3. I tried to use the "ML" mode the manual said the the flash will manually fire when you press "the manual firing button" <the same button with exposure OK indicator> , but i found that when i press the shutter button fully the flash is automatically fired and when i press the manual firing button the flash does not fire!!! Am i wrong? and how to use this Modelling light mode.<I already turn it on!>

Thanks in advance for your help!

04-09-2011, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by janury87 Quote
1. When you turn on the SL mode, it can be change to another mode which the "M" symbol appear with the "SL" symbol. Here the question is what is this mode do? is it also a slave mode with the manual light power control ?
Check this link on enabling "Servo Mode":

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/134123-en...ml#post1396676

2. Can the Metz 48 af-1 used as a master flash to control other slave ? if not, please advice the flash that can be used as a MASTER.
First of all, the K-x, K-7 and K-5 can use the built-in camera flash as either master or controller:
K-x: Menu--> [C3-17] >On or Off
K-7: Menu--> [C5-31] >On or Off
K-5: Menu--> [C3-21] >On or Off

These settings only do that, they toggle the mode between master and controller. You would need to also enable "wireless flash" mode from the four-way controller on the back of the camera(s).
Unfortunately, the Metz 48 cannot act as a controller. It will still act as a master and trigger other slaves, but you also need to make sure that all involved flashes share the same channel.

Read up on the below link about the features and capabilities of the various models.
Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

3. I tried to use the "ML" mode the manual said the the flash will manually fire when you press "the manual firing button" <the same button with exposure OK indicator> , but i found that when i press the shutter button fully the flash is automatically fired and when i press the manual firing button the flash does not fire!!! Am i wrong? and how to use this Modelling light mode.<I already turn it on!>
I mounted my Metz 48 AF-1 on my K-5 with "ML" enabled. The modeling light is used to evaluate lighting (shadows and highlights) without triggering the shutter, in other words, you can check angles and reposition the Metz (provided you are using it off camera) in respect to your subject. Mounted on the camera, it still behaves the same. Press the "the manual firing button" on the flash, and the flash will emit a series of flash bursts, i.e., the "modeling light". Press the shutter release button, and the flash will fire normally. If you want the flash to fire normally via "the manual firing button" on the flash, you would have disable the "ML" mode. Metz did not supply a dedicated "ML" button.

You do need to pay attention to what flash mode you are in, and what type of lens you are using. Manual lenses without the "A" setting on the aperture ring behave differently than auto lenses, as there needs to be some communication between the flash and camera (the lenses' aperture) when using P-TTL. Using a strictly manual lens requires "M" mode (Manual) on the camera and flash. Flash output would then be controlled via the + and - buttons on the flash in fractions of output power (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc.). Also make sure that the green light is on, indicating that the flash has sufficient power.

Last edited by Catalana; 04-09-2011 at 03:43 PM.
04-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catalana, nothing left to say. Well done. +1
04-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your help.