Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
magnifying eyecup

is there any other , hopefully better, magnifying eyepiece out there for the viewfinder than the pentax 0-ME53 ? for the k7 / k5 ? it's ok i guess, but is there anything else to use to help with manual focusing ( i don't want to use the live view, and would rather stay with the matte screen original to the camera if i can ) ?
thanks

04-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know of another magnifying eyepiece but for manual focus help you should look into a new focus screen. Katzeye makes some really good ones but are expensive. You can find some relatively cheap ones just by searching the web.
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
do those split screens change the way the camera meters light? affect the exposure or anything as a result?
04-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I use the KPS 1.3X for my K7, I really like it, the built quality is great, the eyecup is comfortable.

2 downside that I have experienced is the slight vignetting on the K7, and the dust attracted by the rubber eyecup, but all things considered, I'm very happy with this eyepiece, probably will never go back to the oem one that came with the K7.

This has made manual focusing quite a bit easier due to the big magnification, there is several threads on this topic somewhere in the forum, you should read upon others opinion as well, but if my memory serves me correct, they are all fairly positive.

04-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
do those split screens change the way the camera meters light? affect the exposure or anything as a result?
Spot metering is lost when you install a split prism screen. I think I am going to revert to the default screen even if I cannot locate an LL-60 screen in the near future. I used to spot meter a lot when I shot film and it's becoming increasingly frustrating not being able to do so. Hopefully, just having the OME-53 magnifier will be enough to aid MF.

Thanks,
04-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
i may just use the magnifiying eyecup then, not sure, too, i want to mess around with installing the other screen at this point, thanks for the inputs. maybe at some point pentax will make a full frame camera with a large viewfinder? that would be cool.
04-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

May I ask why you do not like the 0-ME53? I have it on my Kx and it makes the camera better in more ways than one. It magnifies my viewfinder to 100%, it's more comfortable than the OEM and it keeps my nose/face away from the LCD.
04-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
the me53 is ok , it would be better if it were a little larger viewing area, as it's smaller than the original eyecup, so seems like it cuts out some of the side view, and rounds the corners , on the k-5, but i do like the way it sticks out from the camera a little more, yes. probably on the kx it would be more the same size as the original finder? so not as much of a difference ? as i said, it's ok, probably my eyes are the real culprit.
thanks.

04-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
May I ask why you do not like the 0-ME53? I have it on my Kx and it makes the camera better in more ways than one. It magnifies my viewfinder to 100%, it's more comfortable than the OEM and it keeps my nose/face away from the LCD.
I find the price a little high for a small sliver of plastic/glass. $30 to $50? $15 to $25 reasonable.

Especially for casual hobby shooters.

(IMO)
04-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
the me53 is ok , it would be better if it were a little larger viewing area, as it's smaller than the original eyecup, so seems like it cuts out some of the side view, and rounds the corners , on the k-5, but i do like the way it sticks out from the camera a little more, yes. probably on the kx it would be more the same size as the original finder? so not as much of a difference ? as i said, it's ok, probably my eyes are the real culprit.
thanks.
no, your concerns are real indeed. I use the O-ME with the K-x and i feel the same as you sometimes. However if one gets used to adjusting eye position, it's not such a big problem anymore. I find the bigger viewfinder a worthy reward for a minor nuisance.

That said, you can try other brand magnifiers such as the KPS
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
I find the price a little high for a small sliver of plastic/glass. $30 to $50? $15 to $25 reasonable.

Especially for casual hobby shooters.

(IMO)
I used this Nikon thing for a while. It's cheaper:

Nikon DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece 25339 B&H Photo Video

It fits but it was very tight, so I was reluctant to remove it. Magnification is close to the Pentax one. Performance is fine, I guess. It isn't a stunning difference. With my glasses, I can't really use a higher magnification, because I lose parts of the viewfinder.

I didn't put a magnifier on the K-7, because it already has a 100% viewfinder, so the edges and corners of the VF are important. It could really use something to keep my nose off the LCD though.
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most people (like me) like the KPS eyepiece the best. If you don't, someone probably will.

*Much* better than the OME-53.... M copy of that has found a happy home on my MZ-5 film camera: for a while I thought, 'Ah, this must have been originally designed for these.' Not so, apparently, but it's outstanding nonetheless, whereas on my K20d, it was, well, an improvement, but not like the KPS. Even covers the whole finder, which isn't a particularly big one for a film camera. )
04-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #13

Original Poster
ok ratmagiclady, and nicZh, i will try the kps. thanks