Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But it's also the case that Eneloops and similar cells hold their voltage better than most other NiMH cells.
I fully agree on that!

05-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #17

Original Poster
As stated before, a repair place says there is excessive battery drain. Regardless of the type of battery used, if the camera is draining a battery excessively then there is a hardware issue. This is what the repair place is looking for.
I have no idea what batteries they are using to test, it was sent without batteries.
Thanks for the feedbacks from Mangusta... I have forwarded these comments to the repair shop.
05-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GMWolfe Quote
As stated before, a repair place says there is excessive battery drain. Regardless of the type of battery used, if the camera is draining a battery excessively then there is a hardware issue. This is what the repair place is looking for.
I have no idea what batteries they are using to test, it was sent without batteries.
Thanks for the feedbacks from Mangusta... I have forwarded these comments to the repair shop.
That is really interesting. Please keep us updated on what the repair shop may achieve.
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #19

Original Poster
Finally got this resolved, sort of.

Victoria Camera Services diagnosed the issue as an intermittent problem on the main board, and estimated almost $500 for the repair. They said battery type had no impact but agreed that an Eneloops would have lasted a few minutes longer.

Future Shop's extended warranty is administered by another company who refused the repair. The policy was that I could get a replacement equal value camera (but they don't sell Pentax any more) or a store credit. Since I have a bunch of Pentax lenses, I was not interested in another brand of camera and currently need a camera (not a refrigerator).
So, Future Shop gave me a 100% refund on the original purchase price. I think this was VERY reasonable on ther part.

There have been comments about buying camera equipment from specialty stores, but I don't necessarily agree with this. When I purchase a camera, I go thru the various reviews (e.g. www.dpreview.com) and choose a shortlist of recommended cameras. I then check one out in a store to see if it fits my prejudices. Of so, then price is the only object for me.

I have been to Future Shops across Canada, and agree that the sales reps don't necessarily know more than what is on the brochure. And a lot of them are very pushy. I am lucky that the store in Nanaimo BC is laid-back and exceeded my expectations with customer service.

Just my $0.02Cdn....

06-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Wow, it's refreshing to hear a story about excellent customer service. Thanks for reporting that.

Paul
06-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Alkaline batteries (regular energizers and coppertops) don't work with your camera - it says so right in the manual. You need to switch back to the rechargeable and make sure you've got good ones, and a good charger. The only non-rechargeable that should work are Lithiums, but going with good rechargeables is a heck of lot cheaper and more environment-friendly. As you'll see if you browse / search these forums and find the dozens of existing threads on the topic, Eneloops and other similar low-self-discharge "hybrid" cells are the universal recommendation.
+1

Lithiums are the only disposable that is reliable in this camera. I have had good luck with Kodak and Eneloops. However, promaster branded and rayovac and energizer branded NiMH don't work with my K200d or *istD. Those sets have been relegated to my flashes only. I have to order eneloops here. I used to be able to get the Kodak at Circuit City but they went under and no one in town carries Kodak or eneloops.

Last edited by Blue; 08-08-2011 at 08:28 AM.
08-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #22

Energizer Lithium won't work.. but Rayovac NiMH's do

Hello all around. I'm a Pentax newby, still have a Sony, but I needed something that I can use in a wet environment.

Primed with Internet knowledge I thought I'd improve on the experience with my newly acquired K200D. Coincidentally I had been using Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables I had laying around and that last me about 200-300 pics per charge, which is ok, but not ideal. So I got some Energizer Lithiums today.

Suprise, surprise.. after 4 or 5 shots in quick succession the camera shows half empty batteries and after a couple more the camera goes dead.

Luckily Walmart took them back, but this wasn't supposed to happen, was it? The expiry date was somewhere in 2020, so that couldn't have been it.

Could this be the reason I got the camera so cheap?
08-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You may indeed have a flaky K200D, but I would not get rid of it until tested with Eneloops charged with a good charger. I tried my K200D with several different types of batteries and Eneloops were best. I must say that I use a battery charger that charges each battery individually.

08-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you try another set of lithium batteries? It's certainly possible the batteries you bought were substandard.
08-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MVesseur Quote
Hello all around. I'm a Pentax newby, still have a Sony, but I needed something that I can use in a wet environment.

Primed with Internet knowledge I thought I'd improve on the experience with my newly acquired K200D. Coincidentally I had been using Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables I had laying around and that last me about 200-300 pics per charge, which is ok, but not ideal. So I got some Energizer Lithiums today.

Suprise, surprise.. after 4 or 5 shots in quick succession the camera shows half empty batteries and after a couple more the camera goes dead.

Luckily Walmart took them back, but this wasn't supposed to happen, was it? The expiry date was somewhere in 2020, so that couldn't have been it.

Could this be the reason I got the camera so cheap?
In the post above yours, I posted bad results with Rayovac and Promaster branded ones. Eneloops, Kodak and Lithium, no problems. The Rayovacs and Promasters did exactly what you described in my K200d.