Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

K200D Battery Depleted

Originally intermittent, now permanent. I have gone from rechargables to Energizers and CopperTops and even bought the optional 4xAA battery grip. All to no avail.

Took the camera back to Future Shop under extended warranty. After 4 weeks, I got feedback there is nothing wrong with the camera, just needs cleaning ($180!!!) not covered under warranty.

I will be "discussing" this with Future Shop today.

Any similar experiences out there?

04-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My wife's K200D with battery grip is running on Eneloops just fine.
04-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I do not have a battery grip, but have never needed one. Compared to my K100, my K200 is more sensitive to batteries. But any type of hybrid nimh works fine. I have Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid. Other batteries (except probably disposable lithiums) aren't likely to work very well. Also you should get a good charger that will charge and report on each cell individually. One clunker in the bunch will make the camera unhappy.

Paul
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Now FutureShop says the Pentax repair facility has done repairs, the $180 was the parts costs. They say cleaning should be covered under extended warranty. I will update.
)

04-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just want to say that it is too bad you found out how futureshop is the hard way.
I paid a little more when I bought mine at Henrys but they really know their stuff. most of the employees also own a dslr or know a lot about them.
In my experience futureshop around here are paid a commission and don't know much more then what is on the sales flier.
Do you have the camera now?
My sigma dg500 super was having the same issues... I took something mildly abrasive and cleaned the contacts. start with a pencil eraser first to see what happens. my flash didn't even look dirty but there was just enough dirt on the contacts to stop it from working

good luck

randy
05-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Generally, I agree with you about the merits of purchasing from experts instead of a big box store. They are like lawyers -- 90% of them make the other 10% look bad )

In my case, FutureShop has been really good. My issue is with the "authorized Pentax repair" facilities (Vancouver BC in this case).

Camera came back after 7 weeks, and the repair shop said that my only issue was that I needed to use Li-ion batteries. Well, I picked up the camera, put in fresh batteries (copper tops) and the camera had exactly the same issues that it was sent away with.

A professional cinematographer friend recommended Victoria Camera Services, and Future Shop arranged to have the camera sent there for repairs. After a couple of weeks, VCS says "has a very strange battery drain and is very flaky". Looks like this may be one of those cases where it the best bet is to bite the bullet and scrap the camera.

FutureShop's extended warranty says they will replace with similar priced product if the camera cannot be repaired or takes more than 60 days (I am now looking at 10 weeks). They have offered this, but my issue is that the location no longer sells Pentax DSLR's. I really want Pentax, because I have a pair of MZ-7's with 18-82 and 150-300 zoom lenses, as well as the 50-200 and 18-55 zooms for the K200.

Folks in the camera dept say they may be able to special-order a Pentax body, and I will be following up with a customer support supervisor to see if this can be done. Can't get the K2000 new any more, but K-X body is the replacement and available (altho I really don't care about doing movies) and I will see if they will do this instead.

I'll keep the forum posted. Sure wish I had my K200, I have been in withdrawl since February and am spending a fortune on film processing!

)
05-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Alkaline batteries (regular energizers and coppertops) don't work with your camera - it says so right in the manual. You need to switch back to the rechargeable and make sure you've got good ones, and a good charger. The only non-rechargeable that should work are Lithiums, but going with good rechargeables is a heck of lot cheaper and more environment-friendly. As you'll see if you browse / search these forums and find the dozens of existing threads on the topic, Eneloops and other similar low-self-discharge "hybrid" cells are the universal recommendation.
05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
I beg to differ -- I see nowhere in my manual that says alkaline batteries can't be used. Maybe we have different manuals. Here's what mine says about AA alkalines:

"Of the batteries that can be used in this camera (Ni-Mh, lithium and alkaline) only the Ni-Mh batteries can be recharged."

"AA lithium and AA alkaline batteris that can be used in this camera are not rechargable."

"Capacity & Plaback Times:
Alkaline (23deg C): 200 normal; 80 (50% flash) 20 *100% flash)
Alkaline (0deg C) Not applicable"

"AA Alkaline batteries may not support all the camera functions under certain conditions."

The only restriction on alkaline batteries that I see are they should not be used in cold weather, and under "certain conditions" (which I read to be cold weather).

For the first year of operation, alkaline an rechargable batteries worked just fine (altho the alkalines didn't last as long).

The first repair place said they replaced $180 worth of parts, the second says there is something flaky in the camera that is causing battery drain. Dollars to donuts (not the odds they used to be!!!) says that putting lithium or Eneloops in the camera will not fix my problem.

Rgds, g.

05-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

"Certain conditions" means after they've taken about a dozen shots. And you left out next sentence: "We do not recommend their use except in emergencies and checking camera functionality". Again, read the many existing threads on the subject - alkalines just should not be expected to work well. While it's certainly *possible* there may be a camera problem as well, you'll never know if you test only using alkalines.
05-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Alkaline batteries *never* worked in my K200. I just used to buy energizer lithiums and it loved them. I'd get 6-800 shots out of a set and because I never went shooting crazy, they would last me for weeks and weeks.

The rechargables I bought were crap. Should have gone for eneloops but I never did.
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi, GMWolfe
I had an earlier ist ds do similar to your description .
It became intermittent and progressively worse.
The batteries measured open circuit 1.31 to 1.34 V/per cell and followed the load test too.
The batteries are still powering another ist ds , some weeks later, showing full charge.
Since then I have found that in the Pentax metaData (EXIF) file, the following is published per shot
(This is for a working body)>
Power Source : Unknown (0x82)
Battery States : 4 0
Battery AD Body No Load : 152
Battery AD Body Load : 143
Battery AD Grip No Load : 0
Battery AD Grip Load : 0

I don't know what the scaling is , very likely 10 Volt on 256 decimal base.
152 would then be 1.34 V from the ADC

If you can get the camera to take an exposure on fresh batteries, perhaps
you can print the Metadata
I passed my ds to another member and perhaps he can do this too, to help
with the low battery trips that are so often reported on the forum.
Edit Excuse me, 143/256 * 10 / 4 cells is 1.39 V, if 256 is 10 Volt

Last edited by wombat2go; 05-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
05-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GMWolfe Quote
Originally intermittent, now permanent. I have gone from rechargables to Energizers and CopperTops and even bought the optional 4xAA battery grip. All to no avail.

Took the camera back to Future Shop under extended warranty. After 4 weeks, I got feedback there is nothing wrong with the camera, just needs cleaning ($180!!!) not covered under warranty.

I will be "discussing" this with Future Shop today.

Any similar experiences out there?
"Originally intermittent, now permanent..........."

I don't feel too sure that this is merely a battery issue - i.e.: An issue of merely choosing the right batteries for your body.

I could be a camera body issue. More precisely an issue about how the camera responds to the initial voltage drop over the batteries terminals the moment the camera body is powered on.

The reason for my suspicion - and a potential remedy - can be found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13335-*ist-dl-batteries-3.html

I happen to have both the *ist DL and the K200D and while I can - up to now - use all kinds of batteries on my K200D, my *ist DL never accepted alkalines and has since developed into "refusal" of Energizer Lithiums. Currently it will only accept rechargeables NiMH and non-rechargeable lithium CR-V3 batteries.

Thus, Mangusta's findings in the thread quoted above on a potential capacitor issue does give rise to thoughts.
05-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #13

You can try using the new generations nimh like Sanyo Eneloop, GP Recyko etc. they can hold the charge better.
05-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
You can try using the new generations nimh like Sanyo Eneloop, GP Recyko etc. they can hold the charge better.
That is true - both holding the charge over time is one thing. The dip in voltage immediately upon power-up is another - and it is here that some of us with different camera bodies experience problems.
05-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
That is true - both holding the charge over time is one thing. The dip in voltage immediately upon power-up is another - and it is here that some of us with different camera bodies experience problems.
But it's also the case that Eneloops and similar cells hold their voltage better than most other NiMH cells.