Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shellie Quote
Poor guy! I agree with everyone else that whoever told you to start in "M" mode was just plain mean! I got my k-x about 9 months ago, and for the first few months I thought I'd made a big mistake not to just buy another good point-and-shoot camera. I was very overwhelmed, mostly because I wanted to use all those new dslr buttons and have my pictures come out like the ones I saw everyone else here taking. Yeah. Most of my pictures were terrible. So I ended up putting my camera on the green "Auto Pict" setting when I really needed to have my photos come out decently (like the Easter photos), then when I had more relaxed time to play and not to worry if I failed, I started experimenting with the other settings. The running man setting would be good for active kid shots, and if your grandkids will stand still for portraits, try setting it to the icon of the head/shoulders.

If you've never used a dslr before, I think the manual was very difficult to really understand. i.e. "If [green button] is assigned to the (green) button in [green button] of Rec Mode 4 ..." WHA?? (Actually, even that starts to make sense after time. This forum, particularly the Beginners Q&A threads, have been of the most help and encouragement to me. I have read through the manual once and then gone back to re-read many of the sections as I have been working on understanding specific operations of the camera. And I finally broke down and got a copy of "Understanding Exposure," and it IS everything everyone has cracked it up to be. It has been most helpful. The other thing I have found comforting from threads here is that even some of the seasoned pros say they have gone out for hours of shooting and have come away with "a handful of keepers." I assume that means that they have taken lots of pictures that just didn't come out so great. So I guess I shouldn't be discouraged if not all my pictures are perfect either.

So, don't sweat it for Easter... turn your k-x to Auto Pict or one of preset modes and let it do its thing. Then start really playing with it so you can find out what it is capable of! Enjoy your great camera... I keep reminding myself of the same thing.
+1 to everything shellie said. I've been shooting dslrs for years now and I started out in P mode for months with my old trusty DS waaaayyyy back when
BTW shellie I'm one of those who still frequently comes back "with a handful of keepers". The only difference from 2005 to now is that a "keeper" back then might not be a "keeper" today.

NaCl(as your skill improves, so does your eye your 'keepers' have usually improved greatly)H2O

04-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

My skill is supposed to improve?

I'm just sorting through ~350 pics from a trip last week. I have two where the flash blasted a group shot into white-out, so I quickly switched to P mode and everything was fine. No idea what went wrong. I have six shots where I put on a 16mm fisheye lens and forgot to change the SR focal length. It was set on 300mm. I have long-exposure daytime shots with light leaks from the viewfinder. And the whole trip was with white balance at 4350K, +14 tint, because I set a custom balance and forgot about it. That doesn't matter much now, because I shot in RAW, but it's kind of disturbing that I didn't notice.

I did end up with about 25 shots I like, despite myself.
04-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
BTW shellie I'm one of those who still frequently comes back "with a handful of keepers". The only difference from 2005 to now is that a "keeper" back then might not be a "keeper" today.

NaCl(as your skill improves, so does your eye your 'keepers' have usually improved greatly)H2O
boy do I ever know how you feel!
just in the last year my keepers have crept up a bit

cheers
04-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Shellie. I guess I wanted to jump in with both feet & got stuck in the mud!

Most say set to P or (head/shoulders) and I'll go back to that and hope I get some good shots. I'll also use my point & shoot for Easter.

The girls are 9 & 12 but still it's hard to make them sit for a portrait session so I'll make it as painless as possible and then post the results on this site for critique.

I wish I'd found this site a long time ago!

04-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Best method for portraits of kids is observe them at not too far distance, any lens at 77/85/100/135.

Mine complain about why can't I just take picture of them like birds? I remember this every time...

Keep the setting simple. Keep conversation. Keep them natural. Keep your patience, a lot of patience ;-)
04-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #21
Forum Member

You're welcome, jijo! I definitely know where you're coming from. I have 2 boys (13 and 15) and you'd think I was asking them to eat glass or something when I ask them to stand still for a photo. You know how I've gotten some of my favorite photos of my boys?... I handed the camera to them to take pictures of each other. Make sure your batteries are charged and your memory card is empty, because they loooove to take a bazillion rapid-fire pictures. And my guys really ham it up for each other. It's a ton of fun just to watch them! So I have to delete about a hundred goofy pictures, but there are usually some really fun keepers in the bunch. Just a thought. (And after playing with your camera for about 15 minutes, your teenagers will probably be able to teach you something you didn't know about your techy gadget! haha!)

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Thanks, NaCl! I'm hoping someday I'll have much better keepers too. My real keepers are still kind of few and far between. And thanks for sharing your not-so-stellar moments, J1MDave! I really appreciate hearing that other, more seasoned photographers still forget that they changed settings or take photos that just don't work for unexplained reasons. I don't know if it's a classic case of "misery loves company" or what, but it makes me relax a bit.
04-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter

a thing that might work at their age is to get them dressed up in something they really like and most times they love to pose for the camera. My wife used to run a birthday party buisness and we both used to take photos of the girls.

he is an example

of course you don't have to go out and buy fancy stuff, you can make do with what you have or go to a second hand store

show us your pics!

cheers
04-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
Forum Member

Wowsah! What a stunningly beautiful picture, slip! The photograph is technically wonderful, and the subject is cutest thing ever! The expression, the outfit, her adorable face... just wonderful! Now, how do I make my gangly teenage boys look that cute??

04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Wowsah! What a stunningly beautiful picture, slip! The photograph is technically wonderful, and the subject is cutest thing ever! The expression, the outfit, her adorable face... just wonderful! Now, how do I make my gangly teenage boys look that cute??
thanks very much shellie. That pic far outshines my ability in most cases
how old are your boys?
I remember my wife having a pirate party and they had a blast doing "theme" poses. wish I can find them but when she packed in the party business some of the photos went too.
for boys I usually just hide somewhere and take photos when they are not looking. I tend to like "off guard" shots a bit more anyway

cheers
BTW it was taken with a 30 year old lens, a manual M50 F1.4
04-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
Site Supporter

It took me a long time to try to find out why the light was so magic that day. I found out why the light was so great.
here is a re-creation of the day back in 2007 when I first got my K10D
You need a fast lens as the light will not be bright, also a cloudy day or rain is even better with a north facing window. any window would work as long as the sun doesn't come directly in.

OOPS! FORGOT TO PUT IN, THE CAMERA WOULD BE DIRECTLY ACROSS THE SUBJECT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIC NEAR THE WALL.

I didn't even know the term "feathering the light" until I wanted to buy a softbox, which some photographers feather the light with it.
wish I could have that light all the time

cheers

Last edited by slip; 04-13-2011 at 05:25 PM.
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What a beautiful photo.
04-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jijo272 Quote
What a beautiful photo.
thanks wish all my shots could be this cute

cheers