Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD card problem

I have a 2GB Kodak SD High Performance card that works fine in my K20D, but when I put it in my K5 the camera reads "no card in camera". Any ideas why? I've formatted it both on the K20D and on my computer....still nothing?
No big deal, as I have plenty of cards, and it does fine in the K20D, but I am curious?

Regards

04-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert, did you ask Otis if he approved of such a lowly card? Maybe it needs his stamp of approval?
Seriously I have no idea why it doesn't work.

NaCl(contacts clean and not bent?)H2O
04-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it is a small card, but fast, and Otis says it gives better and more natural color, since it is Kodak.
Like I said ...works great in the K20D and DS....what could possibly cause it not to work in the K5? This is a mystery that Otis wants solved.....he claims that other cards don't render him in all his handsome splendor.......whatever.....damn Squirrels can drive you insane. Between Squirrels and Mrs Rupert you would think I would already be insane......but I'm not....am I?

Best Regards!
04-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Just wondering....is it SD, not SDHC? Thats a possible difference. Theoretically should not matter, theroretically.

04-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a regular SD card.......Otis sure does want this problem solved....anyone have any other ideas? He misses the rich color of those shots on the Kodak SD card......... I know, but I never argue with Otis, it just doesn't pay.
Regards!
04-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert, have you tried installing the card while the camera is off and then turning the camera on? Also try putting a thin piece of tape on the back side of the card, it may be just a tiny bit too thin to be making proper contact. Does the card load/unload similar to cards that work? Do you notice any difference at all?

NaCl(grasping at straws here)H2O
04-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Just a regular SD card.......Otis sure does want this problem solved....anyone have any other ideas? He misses the rich color of those shots on the Kodak SD card......... I know, but I never argue with Otis, it just doesn't pay.
Regards!
If I can FIND an old SD (vs SDHC) card around the house I will give some test shots with the K-5 using my Otis clones for models.

04-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Put the card in your computer or reader and do a FULL format on it (if there is a box that says Quick format, uncheck it). Make sure whatever you have on the card, you've saved elsewhere because it will be gone. It is possible something has become corrupted (besides Otis) and your K5 isn't liking the card because of it.

04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Full Format or Complete Erase are the terms you're looking for in your computer software Rupert. If the camera's own formatting doesn't do it on its own, have it completely formatted by your computer, then again by the camera before you start shooting with it and see if Otis and your K-5 approves.
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did the formatting, checked the fit in the slot, did it all, but it still reads "No Card in Camera", so I will just keep it around for the K20D. Otis will have to live with the less vivid colors from other cards unless he can unlock the mystery.

Your efforts were appreciated! We'll just send this one in for an episode on the Twilight Zone.......and maybe send Otis with it, I bet he would like the colors there...
Best Regards!
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Rupert,

I've found my K-5 is fussier about cards than any of my other bodies and a few of my present cards did not register at first, but worked fine after a number of insertion/removal cycles.

Scott