Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

hot shoe light meter

hey so i was watching a video the other day about a studio photographer. he had what appeared to be a light meter attached to his hot shoe. it also looked like it had a little attenae on it. just wondering what it might have been. i was under the impression that the hot shoe was used for external flashes. does that thing meter light and send it right to his camera. or does it wirelessly send the photos to his computer??? just curious...

04-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

More likely a trigger of some sort for the studio lights - antenna is a giveaway (pocketwizard perhaps?). Don't think a studio photog would use a hotshoe lightmeter...
04-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably a radio trigger for studio flashes or other lighting.

Metering really needs to have the same field of view as the lens, or be a spot meter with a very small, predictable field of view. It could be a spot meter I suppose, but most cameras already have that option.
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I do believe there are some transmitters for photos that can ride on the hot shoe as well, those'l likely need another cable to the camera's data port. Much more likely it's just for flash triggering, though.

It won't be an external meter, though some little meters can indeed come with feet for the hot shoe, (just to hold them) mostly useful with older cameras that lack built-in meters.

As a point of historical interest, some cameras from long ago (including some Pentaxes) actually did have coupled meters that could be attached to the prism housing and would connect (mechanically) to the shutter speed dial and all. (Come to think of it, I have a 'meter booster' that would fit the Canon FT series, that would increase the sensitivity of the camera's built in meter, mostly for macro photography and the like.)

04-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like something like this:

White Lightning - Cyber Commander™

I just got an Einstein system (2 strobes) from them, but opted for the cheaper trigger for now:

White Lightning - CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter

However, it looks very useful, especially in situations where the strobes are hard to get to physically, since it can measure the flash and change the strobe settings remotely.

I bought the Einsteins because they appear to be the first (or nearly so) of a new generation of lighting that has useful capabilities like this. One thing I can say for sure already is that they're relatively small and light, which is nice.