Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #16

I just bought the K-x a few months ago and have taken around 3000 pictures with it and they are great quality and the camera is super easy to use. I am a beginner and this is my first DSLR, but I do recommend the camera, you will get to learn a lot about how the cameras work and what you are looking for in a camera. I am slowly learning that the lens do make a huge difference, and saving a little money on the camera may get you a lens that makes up some difference. I know I'm new but if you enjoy taking pictures as much as I do, you may consider buying the K-x now that way you can start you DSLR adventures.

04-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
and in-camera HDR quite possible.
@Ira
Just asking.... I thought the K-x has in camera HDR? I havent really played with it.

So is it lackiong to the degree that its not possible to shoot with it?
04-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
I thought the K-x has in camera HDR? I havent really played with it.

So is it lackiong to the degree that its not possible to shoot with it?
I have seen one shot that was decent with in camera HDR...i personally don'f find it usefull..if you want to make HDR, since you already need a tripod just shoot bracketed exposures and do it home with specialized software.
04-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
I have seen one shot that was decent with in camera HDR...i personally don'f find it usefull..if you want to make HDR, since you already need a tripod just shoot bracketed exposures and do it home with specialized software.
So it is basically no good or the process of having to set it up tripod etc is not useful?

Again havent really messed with it yet as I didnt have a decent tripod.

04-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So it is basically no good or the process of having to set it up tripod etc is not useful?
No the process isn't a problem...the thing is that automated HDR, where you don't control the different parameters to get it to suit your tastes looks kind of dull...as i said i have seen just one photo made with in camera HDR that i liked (i'm gonna try to find it).
Don't get me wrong, to play with or try in some difficult light conditions incamera HDR is enough but if what you want is to do an HDR to transmit something, to make the scene agree with your tastes or mood you are better off mounting the camera in the tripod and making some bracketted exposures, and then processing them in the computer with full control over the process.

you may not like the following photo but i made it to match the phrase Madrid is Hell and i could have never done anything near it with in-camera HDR:
[IMG]
[/IMG]

I even find better to shoot Raw and the process out of it three different exposures to make an HDR than using in camera HDR (the post processing is what gives you all the control, and lets you shape the image to meet your desired result).

Since we're drifting off topic, and to take it back to the thread line, the incamera HDR of the Kr is more usefull since it lets you take handheld HDR images, but i'm not sure the result have changed at all...so i don't find it a crucial or even interesting feature.
04-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was in your shoes not two nights ago. I was going back and forth between k-r and k-x. The k-r can be had with the 18-55mm kit lens for 650 plus incl. shipping off ebay. Typically the k-x was going for around 500 plus shipping. I ended up buying a lightly used k-x w/ the kit lens plus the 55-300 kit lens for $596 shipping included from the pentax forum marketplace.

I am new to DSLR's, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I tend to buy electronics that have been in the marketplace for a couple of years and are at the end of the run in the stores. You get the stuff that has the bugs worked out, at a low price, and you can afford to upgrade to new equipment every 3 years without busting your wallet.

So, my heart said k-r, my head said k-x. My head won (this round. It suffered embarrassing defeat over my HTC desire, purchased within 2 days of it being available in Canada.)

Last edited by Gareth.Ig; 04-13-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: K-r was $650 including shipping, not plus shipping
04-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my K-r for $589 with 18-55 lens off eBay. I thought that was a nice deal. I think the prices will be coming down even more soon. However, if a person is in a hurry, I wouldn't blame them one bit for going with the K-x since it is still significantly cheaper.

04-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #23
Forum Member

I agree with Waakk, buy the Kx (which I also bought as my first DSLR) and save money to buy quality a lens. Being a beginner you probably won't miss what the Kx doesn't have vs. the Kr, and by the time you do, Pentax will have a new latest and greatest out.

Bodies come and go, its the lenses that stick around forever. Put your money into quality glass.
04-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Since we're drifting off topic, and to take it back to the thread line, the incamera HDR of the Kr is more usefull since it lets you take handheld HDR images, but i'm not sure the result have changed at all...so i don't find it a crucial or even interesting feature.
So its just you can take incamera HDR handheld with the K-r. I will assume it works as click,click, click then you (or the camera) merges/HDRs them?

I was asking about Iras comment of with the K-r "and in-camera HDR quite possible"

Where a it is quite possible also in the K-x? I read Iras comment as it is not possible in the K-x. Maybe I misunderstood or Ira forgot to add handheld?

The only difference is in the K-r you can hand shoot while with the K-x you need a tripod.

Im like some others in I dont see the big puish to ge the K-r IF you can get the K-x for less.
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

it is quite possible also in the K-x?
Yep it is...
But then i repeat it's better to take bracketed shots or shoot Raw and process 3 exposures out of it...
As for the quality of how the Kr handles the HDR i can't comment but i doubt that it is any better than with the Kx...you can search the forum or flickr for different incamera HDR and compare.
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #26

Notice that K-r has serious problems with autofocus in artificial light. You can take very nice images outside, but inside it's very frustrating to use. You have to check every image you take.

If I hadn't already bought it, I wouldn't buy it, before Pentax confirms that the problem will be fixed. Currently situation looks bad. K-r is about half years old model and there still isn't a fix available. I have heard that K-x doesn't have these problems.
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have experienced the K-r front focus issue on exactly .5% of the shots I've taken. In my experience, it is a non-issue.

Last edited by loco; 04-13-2011 at 12:59 PM.
04-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #28

For me it occurs pretty much always when shooting inside with lights on. My camera was serviced, but it didn't fix the issue. Other cameras work just fine in same circumstances.