Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buy or wait? K-x versus K-r

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first DSLR, and the K-x looks like it fits my budget and needs. The problem is that it is discontinued and disappearing from many retailers. I can still buy it now for ~$500, but it will be gone if I wait.

But if I wait, will a newer model replace the K-x price point? I'd like to get a K-r, but it's more than I want to pay right now. Will Pentax drop the K-r to replace the K-x, or will they stop selling DSLRs at the $500 level?

I don't need to make a purchase until September 2011, so I can wait a bit if needed. Thanks for any advice.

04-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
REM
Forum Member

The K-r will probably replace the K-x at that price point once there is a successor to the K-r being sold. The K-r was announced (not sold) around Sept 2010. So a new camera successor wont probably be announced until a year to a year and a half going by previous camera refresh cycles.

So around Winter 2011/Spring 2012 is probably the earliest a K-r replacement will be available and sold.
04-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The situation will always be similar; only the camera names change with time. Say Pentax released the K-y today, $800. The K-r would still be available at $500.
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
There is no reason to NOT (imo) get the K-x.

You will always play the "waiting" game when it comes to stuff like this. Whats to say the K-r's relacement wont make the price lower as its sucessor will make it lower...

You will then never buy a camera.

What do you like about the K-r over the K-x? what do you like about the K-x over the K-r?

Being your first DSLR I can tell you there is nothing wrong with the K-x. Browse the forums here and see some of the pictures taken with the K-x. Wonderful thing is if you get into it any lenses you have and or buy can always be used on the next Pentax you purchase....

Good luck!

04-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When the Km/K2000 debuted it was available around $400. The Kx debuted at $600 and the Kr, which replaces the kx, bumped that up to $800. The Kx's current price is less a "price point" and more newer items driving down the price of older ones, which is inevitable. Just look at the K7. It debuted at $1300, but you can currently buy it for less than $900. Pentax won't replace the K7 at that price point. They've already replaced it with the K5 which is debuted at $1600.

Something already replaced the Kx, and that's the Kr. The next thing to replace the Kr is likely to be at least as much as Kr when it debuted. Will Pentax introduce another camera line below the Kr? I've not seen anything about that, but if they did it'd likely not be as capable or have as many features as the Kx, and certainly not the Kr.

[edit]All "debuted" prices were collected from http://camelcamelcamel.com/
04-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

You can find nice used K-7's these days for $650, pretty nice really. The Kx is at a "low point" right now.

I have to wonder if the K-r price won't come down with the release of the Nikon D5100. To be honest I would have a hard time picking the K-r over it, given that they're priced about the same. At least I think they are. One thing's for sure, new technology is coming out more quickly than ever. There is no way to have the latest and greatest for very long.
04-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
You can find nice used K-7's these days for $650, pretty nice really. The Kx is at a "low point" right now.

I have to wonder if the K-r price won't come down with the release of the Nikon D5100. To be honest I would have a hard time picking the K-r over it, given that they're priced about the same. At least I think they are. One thing's for sure, new technology is coming out more quickly than ever. There is no way to have the latest and greatest for very long.
Kr body only is listed under $600 at BH and the Nikon D5100 body is listed at $800. Of course, it's not been released yet and prices can change quickly.

04-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I say get the Kx now. Either new or even from our marketplace used. My opinion is that the extra/upgraded features of the Kr are not worth the $ (although the Kr is coming down in price and will soon be worth it), as of right now I think the $ saved from buying a Kx is the way to go. You could even get another nice lens with the $ saved. The Kx has a truly amazing sensor and will render great photos for years to come.
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found the K-x to be a comfortable, easy to use camera, and although it is generally referred to as a Beginners camera, it can produce results equal to most of the best.
However, the most important thing I would consider is the price. At the present time a K-x can be picked-up for around $400 (US) with a kit lens. Much less than I paid for mine.
Incidently, I have a K-x and a K-5. My intention was to sell the K-x after getting the K-5, but have grown to like it so much that I am still shooting most with the K-x.
04-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kx is an amazing piece of equipment, if it fits your budget go, buy it and Shoot.
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy the Kx. It Is an amazing camera. Think of all the pictures you'll miss by waiting for prices that may not drop.
04-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Kx owner here:

Buy the Kr.

It has too many advantages to not justify buying it over the Kx.

The K7 is one thing, but it doesn't come close to the high ISO capability of the Kr and K5.
04-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Kx owner here:

Buy the Kr.

It has too many advantages to not justify buying it over the Kx.

The K7 is one thing, but it doesn't come close to the high ISO capability of the Kr and K5.
I would kind of like a k-r. One because I like gear. I admit it. Second, I like the rechargeable battery, the AF points, and I think it has a slightly better/different AF system SAFOX IX, but couldn't tell you if it matters much on the safox.
04-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

K-r/K-x's seem hard to shift for sellers on the market place, so you may find a seller who is willing to let go a K-r for the price of a new K-x.
04-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I would kind of like a k-r. One because I like gear. I admit it. Second, I like the rechargeable battery, the AF points, and I think it has a slightly better/different AF system SAFOX IX, but couldn't tell you if it matters much on the safox.
The AF is a lot faster, making continuous shooting mode a pleasure, and in-camera HDR quite possible.

And the Kr's LCD screen blows the Kx's away.