Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
extended battery for timelapse shoot

would like to connect a 6 volt wet cell battery to a pentax ist ds to be able to shoot timelapse in remote area's for extended time periods. Anybody know how to do this?

04-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess nobody has done this before.

I would use a 12 volt sealed lead-acid battery(power-sonic makes some nice ones Sealed Lead Acid | Powersport | NiCd and NiMH | SLA Chargers | Power-Sonic Batteries) and a DC-DC converter similar to this.
12v power supply and battery index ( Price $18.50 each
Retail or Wholesale. The PST-DC292 works fine in either 12 volt or 24 volt vehicles.
PST-DC292). that link acted up on me).

It supplies 2.2 amps at 6.3 volts which should be enough. Even comes with bunch of different adapters.
Could also hook up one of those solar battery chargers they use in boats and RV`s.
Just a matter of wiring everything up. I take it that you can solder and have a basic grasp on electronics.

There is something like this also. www.songbirdgarden.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7080

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-15-2011 at 06:18 PM.
04-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
exteranl battery for ist ds

Thanks for the help, I'll try that. It should last much longer than 4 AA bateries.
04-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Car battery booster would work well

Hi,
I have in the past used one of those emergency car battery booster units. They have the 12volt sealed cell to boost your battery and the one I have also provides a 12volt cigarette lighter adapter as well.

I used it to power my camcorder by plugging the camcorder power adapter into a DC to AC inverter when I had to do some video work and was too far away from an electrical outlet.

The inverter is also very useful in providing normal 115v power in a car so you can charge batteries while driving for those times that you have forgotten to charge camera batteries. (Not that I've EVER done that of course!!)

Michael

04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mtansley, that is a good idea.
04-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks,

I figure that they are designed to be rugged and safe under most conditions and are reasonably inexpensive and simple to use since they are designed for the mass consumer market. Nice thing is that you can start your car if you have a bad battery and power your cameras all in one neat package. Add the inverter and basically you're all set.

It does tend to confuse people as to why you're bringing in a battery charger with your video and still camera equipment though!!

Michael