Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Deleting images from sd card

I have a K20D and purchased a Lexar Platinum 16 gb sd card a few months ago which seems to randomly fail to show images I have taken. When this occurs I get a blank screen and the message " image cannot be displayed". I do delete images to free space on the card fairly often - could this be causing issues with the card? The other problem is that when I have no more memory left and the card is full, I see the message on the lcd screen and and then an hour glass icon appears and will not dissappear. it just remains in that mode.Yesterday I had somewhere between 30 - 40 images that where showing which disappeared after this scenario. I had to turn off the camera and remove the battery in order to stop it. I know there are various recovery software that allow the retrieval of deleted or corrupt images etc. so is that my one option available? I hope what I have mentioned makes sense and thank you for any advice!

04-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny5 Quote
I do delete images to free space on the card fairly often - could this be causing issues with the card?
Curious, what format are you shooting (JPEG, RAW, RAW+)? How many shots do you have before needing to delete images to free up space? I have a K-x with 8GB card and shoot RAW+. I get at least 280 shots.

Your description sounds more like a failing card. Have you tried a different card? Where did you buy the Lexar?
04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you delete often and don't regularly format your card, that can cause problems like the ones you've described. I can't remember where I picked up this phrase (the online photographer blog comes to mind). On the street, don't delete. Anyway, I think its best to get into the habit of regularly archiving your photos every time you use the camera (not that I am great at it myself!).
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi Johnny,

I no longer delete shots in the field as I've had this problem, but only when I've deleted individual images in-camera. I think it's not coincidental that pxpaul has seen reference to what appears to be the same problem.

Scott

04-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the help everyone - I suspected my over zealous deleting of a few images over a period of time might be causing problems. I guess I should just reformat the card - except for those 30 + images I am hoping are still on the card that I can somehow retrieve first!
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny5 Quote
Thank you for the help everyone - I suspected my over zealous deleting of a few images over a period of time might be causing problems. I guess I should just reformat the card - except for those 30 + images I am hoping are still on the card that I can somehow retrieve first!
There are a number of tools that can be used to recover images from corrupted filesystems, or deleted images. I've used the "helix" tool suite in the past, but I think that's pay service now. There are some free ones out there... if anyone has a suggestion for those, I'd also be interested to hear them. If you can find an old free distro of Helix, it does indeed have a deleted file recovery tool, and can be pointed at a flash drive. That said, it's not magic. If the data has been both deleted AND over-written, you're SOL.

Once you've gotten whatever you can off the card, try re-formatting... but I'd be loathe to trust a failing card much. This is why I buy smaller capacity cards - if I shoot a bunch of 2 - 4 gig cards, I'm less vulnerable to a single card failure. I also dump all my shots to a computer at first chance, even if I don't process them for a bit longer afterwards. An ounce of prevention won't get you arrested, unlike some other ounces... >.>;
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Speaking from a software engineer's point-of-view, filesystems are not very fault tolerant, particularly Microsoft's FAT filesystem which is on the SD card. I highly recommend downloading your pictures to your computer regularly and then always formatting the card in the camera. What can happen is the tables in the file system can get messed up unknowingly and bazaar stuff will happen (like disappearing files). Reinitializing with a format is one solution. The other is a filesystem check, but there is any REALLY good FS-check software for FAT.
01-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Hi

Just curious, did you purchase this card on e-bay? Some friendly China Man perhaps?

If so you may have acquired a "knock-off" fake, they are known to be "flaky".

Greetings

01-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It isn't necessarily a bad card. File system indexes get corrupted on every file system created by mankind so far. I have lost no images ever on the five cards I use (from three manufacturers). I shoot RAW only, PEF. Here is my post processing sequence.
  1. Using a SanDisk Card Reader, copy the contents of the card into a directory "From Camera" on my PC
  2. If I am using one of my DA lenses, I use DxO on the images putting them into a directory "From DxO to LR"
  3. Import into Lightroom using "Copy" rather than "Move" to a 1 Tb USB Driver "P" with an automatic copy to "Q", another 1 Tb USB drive.
  4. Post process the images.
At this point I have either three (M lenses) or four (DA lenses) copies of the image, one being DNG output from DxO if using DA lenses. I hope this points you in the right direction. I use my cards in rotation, so they are not formatted until all the post processing is done, at which point I know I have not lost anything.