Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Exactly! that is the reason I mentioned it here except for the aperture it is the same focul length - so what makes one a macro and the other a normal lens.
It's safe to say it's the design. And that is where my knowledge of optics ends

Last edited by sterretje; 04-28-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post
04-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Exactly! that is the reason I mentioned it here except for the aperture it is the same focul length - so what makes one a macro and the other a normal lens.
Any lens that can reach 1:1 (full-size) or 1:2 (half-size) can be called a 'macro' lens -- although some insist that only 1:1 lenses qualify. Some sellers label their lenses as 'macro' even though they can only reach 1:4 or 1:6 magnification. But what we consider as 'quality' macro lenses are also designed for edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness. These designs are more difficult and expensive to make than are camera lenses without this ultra-sharpness. So, the difference is money.
05-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Wow. All fascinating & very helpful. Thanks!
06-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ironically, I picked up an old Sears 75-260 lens and spent the last couple hours mucking about with it, only to discover that it would probably be classed as 'macro' in most situations. It has an oddball 'close focus' range below 75 that really could be labeled 'macro'. Basically the lens 'clicks' in place at 75, and if you drop lower instead of zooming, it then alters the focus instead.

I've seen lenses stamped macro that were not before - this is the first time I saw one that was the other way around.