Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

Pentax DA 15mm F4 ltd or DA 12-24mm F4 AL

hi i want to buy a new wideangle, and i would like to ask based on the experience of the forum members wich one will be best for me.

the main concern is image quality, above all.

i mainly do landscape fotography, so aperture and AF is not really a problem, i do everithing from my tripod and using long exposures and focusing to infinity.

the 15mm softness probably is ok since resolution is a lot better from F8.

but if somebody owns both lenses, the DA 12-24mm and the 15mm ltd (wich is probably a rare thing) please help me with some advice.

thanks a lot!
greetings from Ecuador, South America!

04-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is also a question, what you want to shoot/accomplish.

From my personal experience the 12-24 is more a lens for reportage. I had a couple of occasions, where I preferred the ability to zoom.

For creativity reasons I always prefer a prime lens. Usually primes are optically the better lens, but less flexible, because you need to think more before you press the shutter button.

As said, a question of what you want to accomplish.
04-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

IQ is esentially the same with the exception of flare resistance which is heavily in favour of the DA15. By all means visit phototzone.de and analyse the charts there though.

It comes down to size and flare resistance vs flexbility of being able to zoom. Only you can make that decision.

This question comes up so much I decided to take a pic showing the differences in sizes. I'm about to go on a trip and will be taking a lot of pics with the 15 & 12-24, I'll have to try and remember to take a few shots of the same scenes with the difference lenses so I can post those pics too when this question comes up again...

Last edited by twitch; 04-13-2011 at 09:15 PM.
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
IQ is esentially the same with the exception of flare resistance which is heavily in favour of the DA15. By all means visit phototzone.de and analyse the charts there though.

It comes down to size and flare resistance vs flexbility of being able to zoom. Only you can make that decision.

This question comes up so much I decided to take a pic of the differences in size. I'm about to go on a holiday and give the 15 & 12-24 a workout, I'll have to take a few shots of the same scenes with the difference lenses so I can post those pics too when this question comes up again...

You are right, and having all this selection in front of you now, I'd definitely go for the 15mm…

Except you need more exercise

04-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Size and weight are not issues with a tripod. The 12-24 is neither as big or heavy as the hood leads you to believe. And the Limiteds are solid and not featherweights, themselves.

The 12-24 seems to have less barrel distortion than the 15 from what I see. It also goes wider and longer when needed.
04-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Size and weight mean something when you are packing equipment for a carry. I can put the 15 into a vest pocket, I can't do that with the 12-24.
I don't worry about lens distortions any more. They are correctable in post, generally automatically at this point.
Thumbs up - travel as light as possible.
04-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
15mm f4

thanks, every comment is very important, for me the weight issue vs image quality is very important, what i'm doing is landscape photography when i go climbing. and a lot of my friends already consider me to be nuts because i carry a SLR camera with me while climbing. last october i went to the himalayas and with a group of friends climbed Mt. Pumori to 7200mts. the route is more technical than climbing to Everest. On that occassion i carried the 40mm 2.8 lmtd and it was great, but my first cosideration for that trip was weight, now i think the weight was not that much of a problem (i was carrying the k7 body anyways). This summer i'm going to Peru to climb at cordillera blanca so i think the 15mm f4 lmtd wide angle will be the best option. but since i live i ecuador its very difficult for me to find somebody that owns a 15mm f4 to try it on the field. Is great that i can use the various opinions of the forum members to take a wise decision.
now it's clear, if i take the 12-24 i would probably have to leave one or two dinners at base camp, and i prefer to carry the K5 body with me instead of a point and shoot.
thanks to twitch for the pics, and thank you all for your great advice!!
EDU
ps. i have to say that i'm so glad i decided to go with a pentax system when i started at photography, the limiteds are unique!
Attached Images

04-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would take the 15mm with your 40mm, and consider taking a 50-200mm wr with you (0r getting a 70mm). And an ultrapod.
The 15mm is not soft, and is stellar at F8.

Here is the now destroyed boardwalk at bouctouche:

Either that, or buy an oly e-pl2 and 17mm or a panasonic gh-2 and 14mm/20mm.

Nice effort BTW. Good to see someone out there living the dream.