Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SD card problem 2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

more of rant, actually

i recently bought a Kingston 8GB SD HC card for my K-x, in anticipation of my daughter's birth. it was generally working well, except for an instance wherein the card indicated it was "full" when, in fact, the LCD indicated that i had a few hundred photos to spare.

the problem recurred just a FEW MINUTES BEFORE my daughter was born! that i had to rely on my camera phone instead, during the big moments. i couldn't switch cards at that point, or else i'd have lost those moments of my daughter's birth. (yeah, and deleting photos from my other card would've cost me time as well) i realize that my new have some corrupted data, hence the glitch.

has this happened to you guys before? is this related to the brand? if so, any that you highly recommend?

04-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Firstly congratulations on the arrival of your daughter.

I'm sure there will be a whole heap of folk here that use Kingston products without issue, you pays your money and takes your choice, sounds like you may have been just unlucky.

I must admit that I've always used the SanDisk brand (Extreme series) without problems or failures and because of that, I've come to rely on them.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-14-2011 at 07:37 AM.
04-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congratulations to your new baby daughter!

and now, i would like to ask first, did you format the sd in your camera prior on using it? i've been using a regular speed kingston 2gb sd since 2007 the time i purchased my k100d... i also had a kingston 4gb hc and so far i'm not having problems like the one you mentioned...
04-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for your replies and for the congratulations!

maybe i was unlucky, but what a time for that to occur!

anyway, now that you mention it, i don't think i formatted it. things were hectic at the time already...so maybe that's it?

04-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by demonbear247 Quote

anyway, now that you mention it, i don't think i formatted it. things were hectic at the time already...so maybe that's it?
Formating in the camera is very important. I've used Kingston and Sandisk for many years without a problem.
04-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Formating in the camera is very important. I've used Kingston and Sandisk for many years without a problem.
I was going to post about formatting it first, that is a must. I've also used these two brands exclusively for several years with zero issues. I passed my Kingston on and will only be using Sandisk Extremes from now on, they are faster.
04-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #7

charged it to experience then!

well, at least you can still have 300+ more days to capture every moment that she might show you till she reached 1...

btw, saw in your location that you're from Manila... where at? and are you already a member of Pinoy Pentaxian?

04-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
praxxis, as it happens, i live in quezon city now, near fairview. as to being a member, i don't think i am, though i remember going to the site often when i started using my kx. got caught up in work and family, i guess.

ok.

so i'm emptying my cards AND formatting them in-cam. hope there won't be any problems, from now on. and i will consider sandisk extremes, HEEGZ
04-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

has this happened to you guys before? is this related to the brand? if so, any that you highly recommend?
First off congratulations!
Secondly... I would highly recommend you buy a camera strap or grip that can accommodate several memory cards at all times.
Thirdly... always format your cards between uses. - swapping cards and or readers can often affects card stability, and I've found that the best approach to avoiding misshaps between sessions is to keep cards fresh with a format prior to use.

And to answer your question, "it used to happen" to happen to me in the early days of photography. However, I haven't experienced card issues for several years now.

PS. I use Silicon Power and Lexar Cards exclusively now(16 & 32GB).
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #10

praxxis, as it happens, i live in quezon city now, near fairview. as to being a member, i don't think i am, though i remember going to the site often when i started using my kx. got caught up in work and family, i guess.

ok.

so i'm emptying my cards AND formatting them in-cam. hope there won't be any problems, from now on. and i will consider sandisk extremes, HEEGZ
what a coincidence. i also live in quezon city near fairview also (payatas area-a to be exact).

yes, do the routine of formatting your sd once in a while or when you think you have enough of pics in it. just what JohnBee also said in the above post...
04-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
thanks for the advice JohnBee. btw, where do you buy those SD's?
04-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks for the advice JohnBee. btw, where do you buy those SD's?
Your welcome,

I've purchased my all of my most recent cards off eBay.

I found a seller there with 100% feedback, and who's sold something like 5000 memory cards. They sell SDHC cards new in sealed package with satisfaction guaranty and I've been satisfied with their level of service so far. If your interested, let me know and I'll PM you the link.
04-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi,

Congratulations with your new born daugther.

The question deamonbear247 can be very relevant since there are problematic / fake Kingston SD cards around.

You can Google to find out how to recognize fake cards.
For instance, have a look here: eBay Guides - FAKE SanDisk Ultra Secure Digital Cards Exposed (I know, it is a Sandisk example..)

So, are you sure you have a genuine Kingston SD card?

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 04-27-2011 at 04:48 AM.
04-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I have had a similar problem with a 16GB Team SDHC card! I've had numerous problems with it (I shoot with a K-7), where the camera tells me the memory card is full, even if it in reality has room for another 1000 photos, simple 'memory card error' messages, and even today, when I took about 100 photos in the morning. When I went to import them to my computer, Windows told me the files were corrupted, and when I tried to fix them using the Windows repairer, all of the photos were deleted!! I am so angry!

I emailed cheapchips.com.au and dully asked for a replacement or refund, so we'll see how it goes...