Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

So I need a 47mm lens hood to fit my 50mm lens?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was confused about this, I bought one for my 55mm kit lens, and its "52mm" on the side of the hood,

so before I order one for my 50mm lens It must be size 47mm (lens hood)?

thanks

04-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
No. The 50 mm lens is smaller bore, so it's not -3. it's actually -1. You'd need a size 49mm.

Confusing, but you'll get it.

(Just Kidding)

===

(for real) I think you mean "filter thread" - it is different for most all lenses, but I believe all the 50mm's use a 49mm filter thread.

What model 50 is it?

take a look on the right side of the hood - that "0" w/ the slash through it symbol will tell you what filter thread you need.
04-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the fast reply, its the smc Pentax-A 1:2 50mm
04-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #4

according to pentax forums SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
it is also the 49mm filter thread.

04-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

no, dont do that.

what does it say on the ring of your lens? we can help you find the correct hood for that lens.
04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
well, its the same exact lens as the photo .

on the lens? it dosent say anything...

just around the 50mm pentax-A
04-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That slashed-zero is theta for thread diameter, AKA filter size. Many many many Takumar and M- and A-series Pentax lenses have 49mm front threads. Not all 50's do -- the (K)50/1.2 uses 52mm, as does the DA18-55 kit lens.

You'll find that some lensmakers try to standardize the front thread on as many lenses as possible, while others just go with the flow and use whatever will fit. Standard thread/filter sizes are 49-52-55-58-62-67-72-77mm. Filters and hoods etc in those sizes are easy to find. I *hate* some of my European lenses with odd sizes: 31-33-35-40-41-44-47-54mm. Well, I don't actually hate the lenses, just the tedious task of finding or fabricating hoods for them.

04-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #9

I got something like the first link, from camerafilters.com .

It's good because it has threads on the inside and the caps will still fit. Only issue is that the folds will tear after some time. I brush some toluene-thinned goop on it to hold it together once it starts to go.

I remember reading a thread here on pf.com that the smc 50s are so much better when you got a little bit of shade on top, I think it's worthwhile getting.

Also, the old 28mm lenses (m28, etc) have the same 49mm filter size.
04-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
I was confused about this, I bought one for my 55mm kit lens, and its "52mm" on the side of the hood,

so before I order one for my 50mm lens It must be size 47mm (lens hood)?
If the hood screws into the filter threads you need on the same size, which will be engraved around the front element of the lens along with the focal length, maximum f-stop and so on.

The 50mm lens I have has a 49mm filter thread.

I don't know how it works with the lenses with reversible bayonet fitting hoods - I wish I did! And I wish I knew where I could get some suitable cheap hoods for my Sigma zoom lenses.
04-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
And I wish I knew where I could get some suitable cheap hoods for my Sigma zoom lenses.
The greatest invention since sliced bread:

NEW Square Lens Hood Filter Hood for Cokin P series | eBay

The above image shows three modules clipped together, but you use as many as your FL requires.
04-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
With all due respects I disagree. That lens hood would be awfully difficult to butter and would taste terrible when you ate it.

I'd like to know if LHCA (Lens Hood Collecting Addition) is a valid compulsive obsessive disorder syndrome to suffer from on this forum...

...because there's literally zillions of examples of absolute drool material out there just waiting to be sought out and hoarded...
Lens hood for a camera - Patent # 7883222 - PatentGenius
Lens hood, and imaging device - Google Patent Search
Matte box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.R. -- How many eBay new gimmick inventors does it take to change a lightbulb?
04-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is hard for me to comment about what the lens says, as I don't own one, but, look inside the lens cap.

It usually gives the diameter of the front element accessory ring on the inside of the cap.

Many lenses have different diameter accessory rings, and they are not related to the focal length, but more closely to the F number (although this is only an approximation which is only accurate for medium tele and above)
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

NEW Square Lens Hood Filter Hood for Cokin P series | eBay

The above image shows three modules clipped together, but you use as many as your FL requires.
i can't spread hummus on this, so no thanks!

but serious question about the Cokin hood pictured, i have one that i use w/my Cokin set and feel the need to cover the sides in some cases reduce light leakage...am i missing something obvious with this device? i have a piece of felt that i tie around the sides after setting up my filter(s), but it seems like a makeshift way to do the job.
04-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i can't spread hummus on this, so no thanks!
Count yourself lucky! Hummus......YUK!! My son inhales that stuff.