Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Girls lax, 700+ shots per game, you have not gone insane.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-15-2011 at 06:33 PM.
04-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
At the end of the day did you get the shots you wanted? (you didn't say).
04-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
At the end of the day did you get the shots you wanted? (you didn't say).
There was probably about 120 good photos, the rest were average to poor. The Club seemed pretty happy with the results. (quite a number have become facebook profile pictures ) I had a guy try to get me to help make his short film he has been scripting. And Mt Buller and Mt Baw Baw (two of our clubs sponsors) have requested a couple of images, Although these are still being negotiated as to their uses. All in all I'd say that's a compliment.
04-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

That's about normal. It could easily be more. My daughter is a freeskier in Colorado but when she comes east to compete, I'm there with my camera getting shots of her and her friends. I'm often in burst mode. The last competition I shot, Newschoolers used a few of my shots. I did a motorcycle ice racing shoot in Febuary and shot over 1100 pics. Sports is always going to end up with a lot of deletes, that's why you need to shoot a lot. It's easy to get motion blur and camera shake following the action. Megapixels are free. It's not like the old days of film. With a little practice, you will find you have several hundred good ones and not too many poor shots. If you're going to do a lot of skiing shots, consider getting the DA 10-17 fisheye and getting in very close. Skiers like big air shots and the fisheye exaggerates perspective and from the right angle, a little jump can appear like the skier is sailing over the treetops.

04-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
consider getting the DA 10-17 fisheye and getting in very close. Skiers like big air shots and the fisheye exaggerates perspective and from the right angle, a little jump can appear like the skier is sailing over the treetops.
I have contemplated getting a fish eye, but I haven't warmed to its look just yet. I actually would rather take a different perspective for the time being. From what i have seen in AUS 85% of photographers only use fisheye on the slopes, and I get tired of the results looking so much the same. Thanks for the advice though
04-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You're not insane... I filled a 4gig sdhc card at an Ice Hockey game... Ended up with 100 or so usable shots (of those 30 were better than usable)... But the nextime I went I shot a lot less and got more good shots...
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Not insane at all. I will bet, when you get to going through them on the PC there will be one or two that will blow your socks off. And seeing those outstanding ones will make it all worthwhile.
The beauty of DSLR, against film, click away madly to get that very special one you are seeking.