Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Doing a shoot tomorrow need lens help please!!

Am still very new to my pentax and using non-point and shoot cams, I have taken some great pics...but this Is the first time am taking someones pictures so am kinda nervous,

It will be outside, daylight, at a park, my question is:
Should I use the kit lens?
or the smc Pentax-A 1:2 50mm I got got for low light/ In doors?

which would you use and why?

04-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Both. The zoom gives you flexibility and autofocus. I'd start with that. Use the manual focus 50 after you both have relaxed. Just say "I'm gonna use another lens now."

And don't compose with trees growing out of heads.
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I think the 50mm at f/4 - 5.6, the kit at f/8.

And most importantly, your sensor probably shoots "native" at 8x12 but you may want to leave some space in composing because the stuff at the sides will be cut off for 8x10 prints and top/bottom for 16:9 widescreen slideshows. I bought my K10d the week of my buddy's wedding and totally messed up the group shots (cropped shoulders on the bookend folks" when I printed the 8x10s.
04-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry to use the A50f2 after you have got all required images. AF is better. The kit lens is best at f8-f11. If you want blurr background, keep the subject close and the background distant, and same as for the A50f2.

A50f2 is a bit soft at f2 (highligh glow), but step down to f2.8 it is good. I would be comfortable using at f2.8 and at f3.2. This lens, in spite of manual focus, delivers better IQ at wide aperture, beautiful bokeh and relatively good isolation of subject from background.

Hope this helps

04-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just be aware of possible exposure issues. Light subject in front of dark bushes or dark subject against the bright sky will need some exposure compensation. Possible best to shoot those with centerweight or spot metering.
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Check out this tutorial on shooting a 50mm lens for portraitwork.

Frame Fillers - How To - Digital Grin Photography Forum
04-16-2011, 03:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
cool, thanks for all the help, am really sad theres very little to no books or anything for the pentax k-x I almost feel ripped off

even when I read mags, am discouraged to even try their tips and stuff cause its ALWAYS for cannon or something, its like damn....
04-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
<snip> even when I read mags, am discouraged to even try their tips and stuff cause its ALWAYS for cannon or something, its like damn....
Start to think about the principles and/or ideas the article is trying to teach you and apply it to your camera. If it is saying to turn "this" dial two clicks to the right, you may need to push "that" button twice instead. Both methods will do the same thing on diifferent cameras.

The answer to your original question is yes, you should use a lens. (either one) Both lenses are adequate "kit" lenses of their day. Generally a prime lens will give you slightly better IQ than a zoom will, however there is a lot of other things that effect IQ as well. Just do it to the best of your ability, have fun doing it, and learn something from the experience.

04-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
what do you mean by IQ?
04-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
what do you mean by IQ?
Image Quality
04-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #11

Original Poster
ahh got it, thank you again!