Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

problem with e-dial of k-x,please help the noob

Hello all,i am in trouble with the e-dial of my pentax k-x, 5 months old.it has been fantastic so far.recently i have a problem.whenever i try to change the value of shutter speed/aperture/sensitivity/EV, it skips the steps.for example when i am trying to change the AV value from 4.5 to 5,it is jumping to 8,10 or higer etc.!then when i try to dial down,it further goes up!the same is happening with the zooming in and out in the playback mode.from x1.8 it is jumping directly to x14, x16 etc. when i rotate the dial one step. I have limited internet access and not able to update and learn from the forum regularly.any prompt suggestions/ideas can really help me.thank you.

04-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Try using a rocket blower all around the e-dial. I've not had this issue, but I've read that dust can get in on the contacts and cause the dial to behave strangely. If this is the case, hopefully you can blow the dust out somehow and restore normal function.
04-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

The scroll wheel on my computer mouse does this at times. Scrolling fast or scrolling in one direction no matter which way the wheel turns. It usually has dog hair wrapped around the wheel. Really hard to remove without disassembly. Good Luck
05-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

I had same problem on my brand new K-x year ago. Pentax service fixed it free of charge within one day

05-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The contacts on your e-dial probably need cleaning. BUT...check to be sure that all your other dials, switches, toggles etc are in one position or another, not in between detents. I had a similar problem with my k-x and it turned out to be that the mode dial wasn't quite on Av, once I got it back to it's proper position the e-dial worked perfectly.

NaCl(I think the camera got confused)H2O