Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Copyright

I have read several post about copyrights but did not find the answer I was looking for. So my question is should I put a copyright on my photos, should it be embedded or watermarked on the photo?

04-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

There have been a few threads on copyrights. I can share with you my own experience.

First I always write the copyright in the EXIF. With my K-7, I wrote the data in the camera and all my photographs have the copyright and photographer's name embedded in the EXIF.

Second, for any materials that I place on the web, I use some watermarks and I only place low-resolution version of my shots.

I have a series of webpages developed over the last 12 years which contain more than 2,000 photographs. Some people have used a few photographs and, when they asked, I am nearly always agreeable subject to proper acknowledgement and accurate figure caption.

However there are a few individuals who used my own photographs in their webapge, publications, articles without permission nor any acknowledgment of the source of the photo. I even found a couple of photographs used in some magazines without acknowledgement nor permission. In each case, I had to write to the publisher to request the removal of the illustration.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 04-16-2011 at 08:46 AM.
04-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It looks like you are trying to make a living as a special occasion photog... in your case I would put a visible, nice, readable name... if nothing else... when people steal your photos for... if nothing else... facebook it would be a bit of advertising... but lower res, with nice water marks would help lower the number that are printed without your knowledge...
04-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The only advice I can give you is to watermark and never never post any image on the internet that is NOT cropped. So crop your images somewhat, and you will be the only one with the "Complete Original" file, if you ever need to go to mediation/court this will come in handy.

04-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

One thing about in camera (C). When you upgrade your firmware don't forget to re-input your info (happened to me after sending camera in for service).
04-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I put my information in my k-x but was unable to find the option in my k20d. I will design a watermark and start putting on my photos. I usually crop my photos so there are very few if any photos on the internet that are the original.
Jord, I do have a facebook page, and webpage. Most of my business so far has been word of mouth. I will never make a living at this but, I have a blast taking pictures really don't have to get paid. Thanks again for the input.
04-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emetcalf Quote
Thanks, I put my information in my k-x but was unable to find the option in my k20d.
I don't think that the K20D has the ability to add information to the EXIF. I know that my K10D, its immediate predecessor, does not.

There are several software tools that can do it. I like exiftools. Its free and can display, modify or add fields to the EXIF. Its a command line program (no GUI), so you must first open a DOS window. I don't know if there is a Mac version or not. Just google it.

Exiftools can apply the change to all files in a directory, for example. This would make it easy. After you copy the files to your hard drive, just run exiftools and add the copyright info to all images with one command.
04-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Paul, Thanks thats great, will save a lot of time.

04-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

May I ask what the difference is (or what you see as the difference) between watermarking and embedding?
04-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
May I ask what the difference is (or what you see as the difference) between watermarking and embedding?
Watermarking is placing a visible image on the photograph, sometimes words, a picture or both. Embedding is placing words in the EXIF data of the photograph, such as your name or business or something that identifies you as the author. To view the EXIF data, you need an EXIF viewer.
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OK. I thought that both were referring to manipulation of the actual image.

So in that case embedding is a useless option as it can be easily modified.